• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1584 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

All:

I want to clarify the voting system as I see it.

Green votes are for posts you like, agree with, or find helpful.

Red votes are for posts that are malicious, ridiculously off topic, or spam. Not for posts you disagree with.

My concern is if a post has too many negative votes it may be censored automatically by the software.

That is all. Curious on your thoughts!

Sentinel94711

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

I didn't realize the software would automatically censor someone.

I don't mind getting down votes. If it's because someone simply disagrees, that's good to know. If they don't have time to write an opposite opinion, I'd rather see the down vote.

#3 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

I didn't realize the software would automatically censor someone.

I don't mind getting down votes. If it's because someone simply disagrees, that's good to know. If they don't have time to write an opposite opinion, I'd rather see the down vote.

On most boards neg reps are usually for things @Sentinel947 notes, not for disagreements in opinion or fact. They are also used (again on most boards I have used) to denote when the neg rep feature is being misused by a user.

Since I gave a recent neg rep (to someone who neg repped me), and did so contrary to board rules, my apologies. If there's a defined usage of neg reps for this board we might need a sticky...or a reminder. I think that's the only time I've neg repped someone.

#4 AltadenaCraig

AltadenaCraig

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Sentinel.  Since you have kindly opened the door, I'll add that on most boards I have used I've never been limited to the number of "up-votes" or "likes" I could assign.  I was certainly surprised when I slammed into an apparent daily limit on my upvotes.

I'll risk going too far when i say that I bristle at such restrictions - it smacks of the kind of paternalism that makes me feel like some kind of lesser minion that needs to be micro-managed by a big-brother system.

Free the restriction! ... Free Tibet! ... Free Willy!

Rant over.  Carry on.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep

but I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

—Robert Frost

#5 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1584 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Sentinel. Since you have kindly opened the door, I'll add that on most boards I have used I've never been limited to the number of "up-votes" or "likes" I could assign. I was certainly surprised when I slammed into an apparent daily limit on my upvotes.

I'll risk going too far when i say that I bristle at such restrictions - it smacks of the kind of paternalism that makes me feel like some kind of lesser minion that needs to be micro-managed by a big-brother system.

Free the restriction! ... Free Tibet! ... Free Willy!

Rant over. Carry on.

Ha! I didn't know there was a daily limit on upvotes! This website uses a fairly stock version of IPS. None of the mods have a hand in what features it has.

@Col. Flagg I don't think we have a hard and fast rule on how votes are to be used.

Edited by Sentinel947, 05 July 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#6 DuctTape

DuctTape

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

POPULAR

To me, it would make more sense if the red vs green were indeed opposites. If green = posts which one agrees, likes or finds helpful, the red should = posts which one disagrees, dislikes or does not find helpful. 

The means for reporting a post as malicious, off-topic or spam should be the "report" button.

How you describe the current set up, it invites confusion and inappropriate (by your definition) use. Also it makes the "report" button redundant.

My 2c.

#7 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2819 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

To me, it would make more sense if the red vs green were indeed opposites. If green = posts which one agrees, likes or finds helpful, the red should = posts which one disagrees, dislikes or does not find helpful. 

The means for reporting a post as malicious, off-topic or spam should be the "report" button.

How you describe the current set up, it invites confusion and inappropriate (by your definition) use. Also it makes the "report" button redundant.

My 2c.

SOP on other forums where I am a member. Those forums tally member positive or negative "reps" under member icon.

#8 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

On most boards neg reps are usually for things @Sentinel947 notes, not for disagreements in opinion or fact. They are also used (again on most boards I have used) to denote when the neg rep feature is being misused by a user.

Since I gave a recent neg rep (to someone who neg repped me), and did so contrary to board rules, my apologies. If there's a defined usage of neg reps for this board we might need a sticky...or a reminder. I think that's the only time I've neg repped someone.

You should adopt the policy my hand-held seems to want my thumbs to do: "neg rep" unto others before they "neg rep" unto you.

I guess a neg-rep for being of opposite opinion (e.g. the co-ed issue) isn't very cool. That's because in general, we're all trying to iron out our reasons for thinking the way we do, and would rather hear why someone disagrees with us. That prepares us for when some other scout or scouter gets in our face about the same issue. We can actually talk about how some people think without guessing from inside our own echo chamber.

But, if I say something that is truly unhelpful. Or maybe too polarizing for someone to kindly write a reply to.  I'd like to see the -1.

I'd also like to think that I'd be smart enough to tune out somebody with tons of -1s without the help of software.

#9 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1584 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Expiriment complete. Thank you.

I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.

Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

Edited by Sentinel947, 05 July 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#10 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

All yall reading this post. Downvote this post. Do it for science.

I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.

Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

ROFL. So I did, but since I neg repped already once today it said I hit my quota. ;)

#11 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2819 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

-1 For Science.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 05 July 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#12 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3121 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

To Science and Beyond!!!!!

#13 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1584 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for downvoting me! But please stop! =)

Edited by Sentinel947, 06 July 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#14 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Ok. -5 does not have an effect. Can I get a -10? After that we will have our answer and can discuss if the downvote is not an auto censor, what purpose do we give it?

Well if all the usual people who post neg rep you today they will only be able to do it once. ;)

I''l neg rep you tomorrow.

#15 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

what purpose do we give it?

The 'Popular' flair attached to Duct Tape's post (#6) indicates many agree with his interpretation, and I couldn't agree more. Wish I could upvote it twice. I will continue to upvote in agreement and downvote in disagreement. If a post is spam, moderators should remove it. Ridiculously off topic can be moved. Malicious posts can be reported. Simple.

#16 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2248 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

A bit of red arrow trivia.

I was killing time one day, waiting for an appointment, and looked back on my more ancient posts.

Some of my most innocuous, vanilla posts had a red arrow.   Not many, maybe five or so.  Timing appears to be during the big software switch several years ago.

I mention this not as a complaint, but with a chuckle:  my usual hobby horses/rants/screeds had no red at all.  

#17 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

I'd be careful with green=I agree and red=I disagree. FB does not have a dislike button for a reason. What they have is a bunch of different ways to agree. And the result is great for pictures of kids graduating from school. When it comes to anything with more than one side it has created an echo chamber. Now throw in a dislike button. Kaboom.

We already know who agrees and disagrees. I'd rather see green=this is helping the discussion and red=this is not helping the discussion. My guess is a lot of people don't see the difference between "I agree" and "this is helping the discussion" so maybe it just doesn't matter.

#18 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12184 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

A negative ding without an explanation is like a punch in the nose by some stranger walking down the street.... maybe he didn't like what you were wearing and just disagreed.  Otherwise, wipe the blood off your nose and spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what that was all about.

While I have spent time with the green arrow, I use it for what I would consider an excellent point made or some thoughtful explanation on a subject.  Maybe a green arrow for some well researched information that moves the discussion along.  I do not use the red arrow very often and when I do it is because the discussion has gone beyond normal dialog into personal attacks.  After 11 years I have dinged less than a half dozen times that I can remember. 

I do, however, receive red dings along the way and that is my signal to stop all conversation with that person.    That has occurred only in a few instances.  (when in doubt, read my signature line.  It's there for a reason.)

As long as the numbers increase, I will assume that my contributions to the forum are worthwhile to those indicating it with an upvote.  Once that trend reverses, it will be easy to assume my comments are no longer needed on the forum and I can find other ways to fill my computer time.

I can easily see the lurkers staying in the weeds if anything they might want to contribute is being judged up or down by every other member on the forum. 

I for one did not know there was limits on the number of clicks one can do on an arrow per day.  I generally give out when someone has done well.  I have used the report button only when discussions get on a personal level.  I don't think it's necessary to be vindictive with the red arrows, too.

I have used the green arrow on occasion when there has been a slip of the finger and someone got accidentally dinged, or someone ran out of green arrows and said so on the comments they provided.  So, no, not all arrows I use indicate any sort of judgment on comments being made, only on the intent behind the comments or the research, thought or benefit to the forum.

I have been a moderator on a number of different forums and everyone runs their "rules" differently.  I have stayed the longest with this forum because I get a lot out of it, it has enforced rules, and I enjoy the interaction between the different scouters and scouts.  If that changes, everyone is free to find other options for their time and efforts.

Edited by Stosh, 05 July 2017 - 06:16 PM.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#19 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

I too have upvoted a post to even it out when someone accidentally downvoted it. I know my fingers have been guilty of hitting the wrong arrow a couple of times. An apology soon follows. I've also downvoted a few times and I've tried to make an effort to include a response with an explanation as to why I downvoted.
I'm always interested in why someone downvotes a post. Maybe it's that the red catches my eye and takes me back to school when a red mark meant something. Sometimes I think an explanation should go hand-in-hand with the downvote. But then what about the up. . . ?

#20 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12184 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

I too have upvoted a post to even it out when someone accidentally downvoted it. I know my fingers have been guilty of hitting the wrong arrow a couple of times. An apology soon follows. I've also downvoted a few times and I've tried to make an effort to include a response with an explanation as to why I downvoted.
I'm always interested in why someone downvotes a post. Maybe it's that the red catches my eye and takes me back to school when a red mark meant something. Sometimes I think an explanation should go hand-in-hand with the downvote. But then what about the up. . . ?

Explanations on up votes is just as important as down votes.  If one has to give a bit of an explanation it helps the poster know whether he/she is actually contributing something of interest.  It would be helpful to know what that something is.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq