I want to present the young men that went to NYLT with their NYLT patch at our next Court of Honor.  Have any of you done this?  If so, did you have any specifics that you said?

Our SM does this. It's usually done after a brief summary of what NYLT is. It's been effective in getting Scouts to take the course.

I would have those boys get that patch on their sleeve ASAP.

It's more important that what they learned gets put into practice right away.

So give these guys some quality cracker barrels (say, at summer camp) and ask if anything they learned should be applied in your troop. The best advertisement to other scouts would be better leaders, and a troop who lets them lead.

• Upvote 1

Sleeve? It goes on the right pocket.

I'd just be happy if I can convince my council to stop telling Scouts that it goes above the right pocket where the Jamboree patch goes.

They have also told Scouts in my council, depending on who is running the program each year, that it goes below the right pocket, or it goes below the left pocket.

I've never seen it worn on a front pocket - always the Scout's left sleeve. Left sleeve pocket maybe, but those style shirts are the exception in my experience.

Maybe we should say put it on the arm not the chest  :)

It's more important that what they learned gets put into practice right away.

So give these guys some quality cracker barrels (say, at summer camp) and ask if anything they learned should be applied in your troop. The best advertisement to other scouts would be better leaders, and a troop who lets them lead.

They just finished NYLT yesterday and our COH is Wednesday, so I think that counts as ASAP :-)  And Summer camp is next week.  I am looking forward to hearing about their experience.

I think there is some confusion as to WHICH (emphasis) NYLT patch we are discussing.

If it's the original NYLT temporary patch found here http://www.scoutstuff.org/national-youth-leadership-training-emblem.html#.WUbePuvyucw

I've seen those given out at the conclusion of the course.

@@Cleveland Rocks, yours isn't the only council to tell them the wrong location. I had to pull out an Insignia Guide to show one SM why his Scouts were not getting some points on the uniform inspection at camporee one year.

If it is the new NYLT strip that can be worn in lieu of the Trained Strip, found here http://www.scoutstuff.org/emb-nylt-trained-strip.html#.WUbeFuvyucwthen it is worn either on the flap of the "smokes pocket" on the left sleeve, or under the POR patch, where a trained strip would go, if the sleeve doesn't have a pocket.

Those are so new, I do not know if the patch is also given out at the conclusion of the course, or the troop is responsible.

EDITED: Can the NYLT strip be worn by itself, or must you wear it in conjunction with a POR patch, like the Trained Strip?

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Yes, I was referring to the square NYLT patch. That goes on the right pocket, although it's my understanding that Scouts are instructed at the end of NYLT (at least in our council) that it should go other places on the uniform, like I mentioned above. I've even seen pictures of Scouts at Eagle COHs with it on their merit badge sash.

The new NYLT strip does go on the sleeve where the Trained patch would otherwise go. We just had Scouts go through NYLT this past week and they were only given the square patch. I don't think many even know about the new strip.

We, too, have gotten dinged at Summer Camp at inspection time because of that and also wearing sashes (OA and merit badge) on the belt.

I believe the NYLT strip is work in lieu of the Trained strip, since there is not enough room on the pocket flap for two patches.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks

Everything I learned about the strip came from Bryan's Blog: https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/11/05/nylt-patch-offers-new-way-scouts-venturers-show-theyre-trained/

Never saw the square patch. I'll keep my eyes out for boys wearing it from now on. Any temporary patch can go on the back of the sash, so it makes sense to me that boys with lots of other scouting experience would decide to sew it there.

... EDITED: Can the NYLT strip be worn by itself, or must you wear it in conjunction with a POR patch, like the Trained Strip?

i don't think a POR is required to wear the patch. Although if someone's got a trained patch without a POR, I might ask him/her why.