Outside Magazine: Boy Scouts Should Allow Girls

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#521 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 6055 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

My "theory", if you want to call it that, is about motivations, not predictions.  Two different issues.

Same thing; you don't actually know the true motivation or true future anymore than the rest of us.

Ok, we do know something, BSA is loosing the present membership and the plan is add new membership instead of fixing the cause of the present decline. Now that sounds like a solid plan for developing a healthy program.

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

#522 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2704 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

*I hope I don't offend anyone but if I could make one suggestion to BSA to change its image. Lose the badge sash. Seriously. The uniform over all isn't bad, I particularly like the navy blue shirt for cubs, much better than ours, but the sash really does have to go."

I was thinking of a nice ecclesiastical silk vestment with a 6 foot stole for formal occasions. A stole will leave room for plenty of merit badges and we could have a nice symbol for the scouts religious affiliation and self-identified gender. If we add a reinforced button hole and a wooden woggle at each end it could be more practical than neckers. A Patrol of 8 would have 48 feet of rescue stole for emergencies.

Patrol leaders would get red skull caps and the SPL a large miter making identification of boy leadership easier. 

#523 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2929 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

But should mere motivation excuse guesswork when research is possible?  

I may want a piece of candy, but the jar may be empty.  Should I check before ponying up the  "price"?  

BSA guessed that centering Scouting on urban living would be a winner - without asking the customers or sales force.  Look how well that worked.  The losses then make the recent losses look good by comparison.

Edited by TAHAWK, 25 August 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#524 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12466 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

For identification purposes, in one of my former troops had the PL's wear the Expedition hat with a red cord.  The SPL had a yellow cord.  One could spot them a mile away.  Today in my current troop we have blaze orange neckers.  It makes my job easier and the boys made the decision to go with them so it's a win-win for all.

#525 Rick_in_CA

Rick_in_CA

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

@Rick_in_CA, you don't believe in cause and effect then?

For YEARS the year on year decline is at 2-3%.

Then in 2013 it increases to 6-7% AND STAYS THERE after the policy change until 2017? That's just coincidence? No other big program changes? No perv file issues. Another 70,000 people per year decided to drop Scoutignout of no where?

Ok. Then why do you think the rate of declined has doubled and stayed there?

There's a relationship between policy and decline. You don't want to see it because it doesn't fit your belief system.

So much for your reading comprehension (hey, if you insult me, I insult you back - see how scout like and better this makes things?). Here is what I wrote:

There is no single, or overriding reason for the decline, it a huge list of reasons. Some have to do with the policies, programs and image of the BSA, but a lot have nothing to do with the organization - our society has changed.

As you can see, I do believe that the policies of the BSA has an effect on the decline.

#526 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3003 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Okay then. I think we agree that  many factors, one being membership policy, effect membership numbers.

#527 Rick_in_CA

Rick_in_CA

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

I think I owe @Col. Flagg an apology. There was quite a bit more snark in my last post then was called for. Just because I am having a bad day doesn't mean I should take it out on others.

Col. Flagg, I apologize.

#528 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

I think I owe @Col. Flagg an apology. There was quite a bit more snark in my last post then was called for. Just because I am having a bad day doesn't mean I should take it out on others.

Col. Flagg, I apologize.

No apology necessary. Rick and I have chatted via PM and we are good. I don't take anything online too hard. Rick's a good guy and this is an impassioned topic.

All good.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users