Outside Magazine: Boy Scouts Should Allow Girls

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#481 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2840 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

"Parallel program"....excuse me if I am mistaken, but I thought we had already decided in this country that "separate but equal" is "inherently unequal". I believe that. I do not think you can successfully have a "parallel program". Which means they won't have any choice but to abandon the decision to admit girls or to fully integrate. And many units will go straight to full integration for the reasons set forth above...not enough volunteers, not enough resources, easier to plan program, etc. "Parallel program" is just proponents trying to have their cake and eat it too.

The BSA is not a public accommodation or branch of any government.  So, like many others, it can offer separate programs by sex - as BSA has done for many years.

#482 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 1225 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

The BSA is not a public accommodation or branch of any government.  So, like many others, it can offer separate programs by sex - as BSA has done for many years.

We could also have kept our old membership policy without penalty but looked what happened there.

#483 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

...The world has changed and will continue to change.  What BP envisioned 100+ years ago is gone and will not come back until needed once more.  I can wait.

What BP envisioned 100+ years ago was gone 40 years ago. 

Edited by EmberMike, 16 August 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#484 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2840 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Obviously, legal requirements and the perceived need for corporate financial support are different issues.

#485 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5999 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Not to mention, and I should have put this in my previous post about private schools:  Haven't the Boy Scouts and the Campfire Girls (before it went "coed"), and the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts, been "separate but equal" programs for many years?  And still is, in the case of Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts?  (I can already hear the response, that GSUSA does not offer a program "equal" to the BSA.  First of all, on a national basis it offers a fairly equal program, but too many local leaders do not have their troops participate in most of the outdoor activities available.  Second, the distinction would matter only if "separate but equal" (as the BSA programs would be) is WORSE than separate and unequal (as the current GSUSA/BSA separation arguably is.  And surely nobody would argue that equal is worse than unequal.)

Edited by NJCubScouter, 16 August 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#486 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

And yet there have been boys-only and girls-only private schools all along.  There aren't as many now as there used to be, but they still exist.

and they're celebrated by their community as well. 

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=49133871

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq