Keep an eye on your scouts!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

....unless one of the 75 is one of your scouts... 

believe me, I agree.  I said it's the only silver lining... 

#22 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

so using DoD recommended combination of Permethrin treated clothing and properly applied DEET, we made it through the weekend at Camp tick free.  At a minimum, Perrmethrin treated boots and socks just makes sense, and every scout troop should both be aware of it, and utilize it.

#23 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

Anyone mention dusting socks with dog flea powder?

#24 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

Instead of the dorky pants tucked into socks look, some say using flea/tick collars work as sock garters. I just go with cheap dorky so I don't know how well the collars work.

Edited by Stosh, 16 June 2017 - 11:44 AM.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#25 krikkitbot

krikkitbot

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

Instead of the dorky pants tucked into socks look, some say using flea/tick collars work as sock garters. I just go with cheap dorky so I don't know how well the collars work.

Hey, that was me! ;) What makes you think flea/tick collars around one's ankles are not dorky as well? :D

Since it's hard to prove a negative, we will never know for sure but I never had a tick as a youth. 

#26 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

I live in a wooded area and haven't had a tick in years. Wife gets them, but she wears t-shirts and shorts. I prefer the dorky.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#27 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1902 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Careful with flea collars. I had a ton of friends use them in the 80s and 90s. Heck one friend wanted them in care packages when he was deployed. 

Unless you were allergic to whatever it is on them. I tried it, and I had major problems with blistering on my legs where the collars were.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#28 NealOnWheels

NealOnWheels

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Interesting read...

https://phc.amedd.ar...18-009-1115.pdf

#29 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2819 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

Thanks @NealOnWheels, that is a good read.

#30 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:15 AM

Mrs. Q got me a tickpicker for Father's Day.
The notion of me using my fingers, or a spork really annoyed her.

#31 oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

"agencies across the nation brace for a particularly high-population tick season"

Anecdotally this seems to be true around here. Our troop maintains its own camp on the St Croix in northern WI. In late April/early May, they planted ~1500 pines on a campout with another troop, so lots of walking around in the grass and brush. Kids got on average like 1-3 ticks. Last weekend we had a dozen or so kids and adults up for a work weekend to paint the cook shack and do other camp maintenance. Everyone there pulled off 15-20 ticks over the weekend and the mosquitoes were legendary. Both ticks and other bugs are better by camp in late July/August but more long pants and some permethrin spray have definitely moved on to my shopping list.

#32 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

Mrs. Q got me a tickpicker for Father's Day.
The notion of me using my fingers, or a spork really annoyed her.

I carry needle nosed pliers, work really great.  My boys work really hard not getting ticks so they don't have to face me with my trusty pliers.  It works better than DEET.

Stosh

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq