unfortunately we have to walk away

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1563 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

Then if the scout and or Parents don't like the troops Policy they can find another troop (like the poster did)

Let me go on record and state I do not have a "formal" position with my son's Troop.  I am just a parent.

Even as a parent, at least you say it.  Many troops don't have the guts to just say they are running the program their own way.  Instead they depend on scouts and families not knowing what BSA says.  Sadly, most conflict happens when parents / scouts ask for the program to be delivered as documented.  

Edited by fred johnson, 19 June 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#42 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

I have seen Parents running their kid from one Merit Badge College to another, I have seen Merit Badge Class where the instructors have fallen asleep while youth just fill out paperwork. 

So while your concerns are legitimate, our concern Is what the youth take away from a MB.  We don't just pass them out like Tic Tac's around here.   

I might just be a parent (as I chose) in this situation.... For the most part I am a DC

#43 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Then if the scout and or Parents don't like the troops Policy they can find another troop (like the poster did)

Let me go on record and state I do not have a "formal" position with my son's Troop.  I am just a parent.

Well, not sure what program the troop is running, but it's not Boy Scouts. One of the biggest problems in Scouting today is adults interfering with how the program should be run. Any time someone proposes a "rule", the PLC should be checking to see if it is allowed...and the SM and TC Chair should be doing the same. Otherwise they are not following the program.

#44 jeanvaljean

jeanvaljean

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

I have seen Parents running their kid from one Merit Badge College to another, I have seen Merit Badge Class where the instructors have fallen asleep while youth just fill out paperwork. 

So while your concerns are legitimate, our concern Is what the youth take away from a MB.  We don't just pass them out like Tic Tac's around here.   

I might just be a parent (as I chose) in this situation.... For the most part I am a DC

I see your point and it is debatable for sure. In my case, my kids wanted to do more, I did not push them for anything, they are the ones interested in working on such and such. My role as their dad to make sure they get the opportunity. Also, just my opinion, the MB goal is to introduce the scout into a topic they are not familiar with, so they can get a small taste of what it is and hopefully if they really like it, they can make it a career or a hobby. But if you don't try something or even learn about it how would you know what it is and if you like it .... the conclusion is not to give them out as Tic Tac, but to give them to scouts who really earned them. My 2 cents ...

#45 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1563 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

• JasonG172 wrote --> I have seen Parents running their kid from one Merit Badge College to another.
    • Yeah.  It happens.  You can't save the scout from their parents.  But then again, it's not the troops job.  
  • JasonG172 wrote --> I have seen Merit Badge Class where the instructors have fallen asleep while youth just fill out paperwork.
    • Yeah.  Not every MB is great.  I've also seen troop MB counselors that are just bad or make scouts want to quit scouts.  
    • You can recommend a better instructor  
    • You can warn the scout that it might not be what he wants.  
    • You can provide feedback to the council that the MB counselor is not good.
    • You can let the MB counselor have feedback that you have concerns.  
    • Ultimately though ... the MB program is a council / district program ... not a troop program.  Give your scouts a great experience by running a great program and knowing good counselors.  But it is NOT your job to block the scout from using who they want.
    • Troop focuses on troop program.  MBs are NOT a troop program.
  • JasonG172 wrote --> So while your concerns are legitimate, our concern Is what the youth take away from a MB.  We don't just pass them out lie Tic Tac's around here.
    • Sure.  You can recommend good counselors, but ultimately the MB program is not a troop program element and not your concern.  

• JasonG172 wrote --> I might just be a parent (as I chose) in this situation.... For the most part I am a DC
    • Like yourself, most of us here have lots of experience.  Glad to see you are invested in the program.  That's good.  Scouts value what their parents value.  And there are never enough good DCs.

Edited by fred johnson, 19 June 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#46 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

the MB goal is to introduce the scout into a topic they are not familiar with, so they can get a small taste of what it is and hopefully if they really like it, they can make it a career or a hobby.

You and I agree 100% on this which is why its so important to get it right the first time.  That is exactly what the MB program is about! 

#47 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Then as a DC, shouldn't you be encouraging the Troop leadership to get back on the path to True North?

#48 SouthernTierScouter

SouthernTierScouter

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

"Guide to Advancement 2017"

7.0.0.3 The Scout, the Blue Card, and the Unit Leader  (Page 43)

A few merit badges have certain restrictions, but otherwise any registered Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or qualified Venturer or Sea Scout may work on any of them at any time.

The unit leader and Scout should come to agreement as to who the counselor will be. Lacking agreement, the Scout must be allowed to work with the counselor of his choice, so long as the counselor is registered and has been approved by the council advancement committee.

Mandated Procedures and Recommended Practices (page 2)
This publication clearly identifies mandated procedures with words such as “must” and “shall.” Where such language is used, no council, committee, district, unit, or individual has the authority to deviate from the procedures covered, without the written permission of the National Advancement Program Team.

About as clear cut as you can be.

#49 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6613 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

Then as a DC, shouldn't you be encouraging the Troop leadership to get back on the path to True North?

Most SM's aren't going to let any DC push them around.

A DC; however, can blacklist MB colleges. It's not hard. "Next Month's Roundtable Topic: MBU's that have failed our scouts."

He can certainly talk to the district advancement committee about counselors who've not lived up to their training.

On the positive side: he can throw in camporees and events with MB themes like First Aid meets or orienteering races.

#50 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2860 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Sorry if this has already been said, but the signature on the Blue card is not a prerequisite to the Scout working on the MB.

"Even though Scouts may benefit from reviewing requirements with a counselor before pursuing them, a boy may begin working on a merit badge at any time after he is registered. It is the counselor’s decision whether to accept work or activities completed prior to the issuing of the signed blue card. Common sense should prevail, however. For example, nights already camped as a Boy Scout, or coins or stamps already collected, would count toward their respective badges."

Boy Scouts of America, Guide to Advancement at p. 43 (2017)[emphasis added\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq