44 replies to this topic

#1 Faith

Faith

Amateur Scouter

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Hi all,

My son is headed off to his first summer camp at Old Indian in 2 weeks. Not sure who's more excited. He's did twilight camp and 4-H camp last year (to semi-prep for this with being gone a week.) But I'm sure it'll be a totally different adventure for him.

Anyways, we have your generic list of what to bring (he is going, as well as his dad, as a leader.) My question to y'all is what is something that would be especially handy/useful that most wouldn't think to pack? Like I said, we have the generic lists we've been going by but I just know once he gets there, there will be something we didn't think of that would make things easier (or maybe not but I'm covering bases.)

Any suggestions?

"They promised just one hour a week...that's all I have left!" :blink:

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6707 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

Every scout is different.

Some like their own cup/water bottle.

Others want their own knife/compass/fire starters.

Some boys have a preference in bug spray and suntan lotion.

If he wears glasses, don't forget the case!

Fishing? Include a knot guide in the tackle box. Nail clippers come in handy for cutting line. Needle nose pliers for extracting hooks. An old denim rag for grabbing fish. Don't forget that small bait box. Dad might want to pack a filet knife.

Spare batteries!

Cloth laundry bag.

#3 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2884 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

Can he sleep without a pillow?

Can he sleep with the night sounds of critters and =adults snoring? (if not, soft silicon ear plugs form shooting goods dept)

Will his tent have provision to keep skeeters out.  Most camp canvas wall tents don't.  Nets are readily available via Amazon.

'Cause if he doesn't get his sleep, he will run down pretty quickly.

Hat with a brim all around to prevent sunburned ears, neck and nose.

#4 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2892 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:36 AM

The camp item that is forgotten more and used less - bar of soap.  :laugh:

#5 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3150 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

A couple of paperback books - there will be some down time in the campsite and if he's not working on a project, they'll help fill the time. A journal with pens - to write down his experiences of the days. A camera with extra charged batteries Some small zipper travel bags where smaller items like knives, compasses, sewing kits, change, etc. can be stored - makes it less likely for small things to get lost when they aren't just tossed loosley in to a backpack or duffle bag.

#6 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2252 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Flip flops/shower shoes/crocs.

Can't wear them around camp, but invaluable for athlete's foot prevention when at the pool or in the shower.

#7 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2884 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

Mat to put your wet feet on before you dry them and put on new socks - so you don't get yik-yak inside the new socks.

#8 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

#9 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

battery powered fan and some rechargeable D cells.  helps a lot in hot stuffy tents.  

an extra scout shirt and a hanger

Gatorade mix

Some snacks to share with his patrol

#10 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Day pack with ten essentials plus a notepad and pens. Too many Scouts to not bring these, although they are required in most camps.

#11 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2884 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

A hanger?  What, you are prejudiced against wrinkles?!  What happened to sticks and rope or string?

:p

This could get ugly.   :eek:  :D   

#12 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

For your husband:

• Comfortable Camp Chair
  • Big Coffee Cup
  • Shirt that says "Do I Look Like a Boy Scout?" on the front and "Ask Your Patrol Leader" on the back
  • A Hammock - making sure to have taken Nap On Safely" training :) 

#13 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2884 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

My friend, the Scoutmaster of the troop where I was an SA for twenty-five years, bought me a T-shirt that said on the front. "Don't ask me.  I'm only an adult."

#14 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

Yes, and tell him how to use it.  The stuff in the orange bottle not the green

#15 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

A hanger?  What, you are prejudiced against wrinkles?!  What happened to sticks and rope or string?

:p

This could get ugly.   :eek:  :D   

When I was a scout, back in the days of cotton  uniforms, my SM was an army Captain.  He was the one who hated wrinkles.    If we didnt look better than any of the other troops in camp, it could ( and did) get ugly!   I learned to lash together a hanger, but this is advice for a firsty :p   :)

Edited by Oldscout448, 04 June 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#16 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Darn it ! now i am missing going to camp.  Cold showers, 100+ degree heat, followed by thunderstorms, pancakes  so hard we could have used 'em to shingle the dining hall,  I still miss it :(

Edited by Oldscout448, 04 June 2017 - 07:29 PM.

#17 WissX

WissX

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

I honestly loved being a CIT last year. I am now working in the kitchen. There is only 1 returning kitchen staff member.

what are your CIT/Camp staff stories or experiences?

So I decided my tall skinny body should do the mile. At our camp we swam 1/2 of a mile then we did the mile the next morning. It was my last week to do it. I was determined. I wake up to do it. My tent mate does it as well. So we have to swim to a buoy and back twice. (It is 1.1 - 1.3 miles 2 times) I spend the next 1 and a half hours swimming slowly. I once came close to quitting. so moral of the story don't give up?

Try something new if you can. At tesomas I did black powder shooting and zip lining. As well as fishing.

#18 Faith

Faith

Amateur Scouter

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thank you all so much! Many of these things...I wouldn't have even considered. A few of these, he took last year to 4H camp (some were used, some were not.) I forgot to note he will be staying in barracks? instead of a tent at this particular camp but I have no idea how enclosed it is or any of that. He was preparing to bring a tent until someone corrected us on it a few days ago. He loves his tent but I imagine this won't be too bad. :D

#19 WissX

WissX

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

From the BSA green canvas tents it is just like a regular tent but with a cot already in there and sometimes mosquito netting. I like them I am sure he will too!

#20 Faith

Faith

Amateur Scouter

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

Yes, and tell him how to use it.  The stuff in the orange bottle not the green

Alright, no laughing at me. Is this for chafing? I kept seeing it suggested when we packed for Disney last year for that so gonna assume here (yes, I know what assuming does sometimes) that's what it would be for here, too. At the time I bought a bar of (the name escapes me) that was for that specifically and it worked great but my sons & husband didn't use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq