News from National Meeting?

I could be wrong, but I think it is being driven by people AT NATIONAL who are really thinking more about CUB Scouts than Boy Scouts.  

I would wager this is entirely the case.   At National the mentality is how many boxes can we push out of the factory door.... not the quality of what's in the box, or even if anything is in the box at all. 

So once again, boys lose. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An important word jumped out on that National slide:  FAMILY.   That's the key.   When I was in a small rural district several years ago, events often included the whole family.   The boys did the

Confirming @ post. This is what a good friend posted to the 2017 Jamboree Foxtrot Base Camp group.   "PLEASE READ CAREFULLY At the Boy Scout National Board Meeting, that just concluded this week, t

Who sets the agenda and controls the information flow also has a tremendous impact on the outcome(s).   I, for one, would like to see some attention to improving the quality of the current program f

I would wager this is entirely the case.   At National the mentality is how many boxes can we push out of the factory door.... not the quality of what's in the box, or even if anything is in the box at all. 

So once again, boys lose. 

Gwaihir, what will the boys lose?

.... the opportunity of choosing for an all-boys alternative to the myriad of co-ed programs?  I do believe there are still many out there that have "boys night out" on their calendars for a reason.

• Upvote 1

.... the opportunity of choosing for an all-boys alternative to the myriad of co-ed programs?  I do believe there are still many out there that have "boys night out" on their calendars for a reason.

But I'm wondering Stosh, how many join the BSA for the all-boys aspect?   Sure, I'm biased but I'd say the percentage isn't very high.  Not enough to sustain an organization the size of the BSA.  Not in 2017, or beyond.

Edited by desertrat77

this.  

IF the continued ability of the COR to make the ultimate membership decisions is kept in place, the program will work with whatever group you choose, whether all one gender or mixed.  The key is simply keeping the basic safeguards for the physical and emotional safety of the youth and adults, and utilizing the best available tools to keep the youth involved and in charge as much as possible, dependent on the age levels.  

But, the absolute most important element that still exists is the bedrock principles on which Scouting is built, and being flexible enough to accept that every group is different, and that what one group does or believes has little to do with what your group does, and that you always have the option to simply not share in all wider activities within the programs.  

Half or more of the issues with BSA and most other groups that offer various modes of mentoring to youth or specific focus groups is that too many simply cannot understand that ultimately their own success is within their own dynamic and what others do or believe, if not to your or your group's comfort, is only a negative IF you allow it to become one.

The old saw, "live and let live" usually applies quite nicely in most cases.

• Upvote 1

A co-ed unit will need adult female campers unless we are to drop what is left of the "outdoor" method.  Some of our local Venturing units have had a problem getting adult females to camp in all but the most favorable weather conditions.

In Baloo locally, over 80% of the trainees are male - 16 of 19 at the Baloo course earlier this month.

• Upvote 1

The old saw, "live and let live" usually applies quite nicely in most cases.

ironically... it's precisely this axiom being violated that is resulting in the move to introduce these changes.  

• Upvote 1