Free pdf tools to insert, merge, append form fillable pdfs?

Struggling to add information to Eagle Scout Service Project pdf without negating the existing fillable entries.

For example, Proposal Page E is the signature page. The signatures were handwritten, so I would like to scan that page, create a pdf, (no problem) and then insert/replace into the Eagle Scout Service Project pdf (big problem).

I would also like to insert photos and drawing pdf's into Eagle Scout Service Project pdf,

I have tried a few free pdf tools without success, the closest was a merged pdf but the form fields were non-functional.

Any free pdf tool advice?

Sorry, I only know the cheap ones that merge standard PDF, those that fill are a bit above my pay grade, and my pocketbook.  I would suggest doing a google search for your specific needs.  I do know that the Linux people cover a wider range of free software than the Windows people. 

If you find a Linux that meets your need.  Most of the Linus operating systems boot from CD on a PC with Windows.  Boot up Linux version that you like, do your PDF thingy, pull the CD and reboot back to windows.  Kinda convoluted but some of my software comes in Linux only.  Linux is free, too, as are all it's software programs.

Sounds like a new requirement for Digital Technology MB:

10. Identify a digital tech method that has failed many of its intended users.

a. Come up with an alternative based on simpler tech.

b. Measure the advantages of the alternative in terms of speed, capabilities, and interoperability. Be sure to account for time getting support, etc ...

c. Multiply the time saved by 50,000 to get a national estimate of the hours a national organization could spend actually doing service instead of Byzantine beurarcracy.

Edited by qwazse

Sounds like a new requirement for Digital Technology MB:

10. Identify a digital tech method that has failed many of its intended users.

a. Come up with an alternative based on simpler tech.

b. Measure the advantages of the alternative in terms of speed, capabilities, and interoperability. Be sure to account for time getting support, etc ...

c. Multiply the time saved by 50,000 to get a national estimate of the hours a national organization could spend actually doing service instead of Byzantine beurarcracy.

Back in the day, I typed my one page Eagle Project report on my Dad's typewriter. As I recall it was my first and only use of carbon paper as I needed two copies. I am a hunt and peck typist, still it was faster than this pdf stuff. :(

underwood5small.jpg

Edited by RememberSchiff
Underwood Model 5 not Royal
  • Upvote 1

The Eagle project workbook has a few DRM surprises in it because it was created using Adobe CS6. Unless you have that you'll just need to append the new old-fashioned way. Create your own template in Word and add the information there.

cutePDF - is a free print utility which I use to extract pages (Word, pdf,...) into a pdf file.

PDF escape is a free online PDF editor that I have used mostly on old pdfs.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of Adobe "Always need to Update" software.

Edited by RememberSchiff

Only in America can one buy a computer operating system (Windows) and all the "work" utilities for making it actually DO something (Microsoft Office) and from then on one can add the programs you would like to actually have on your computer.  $$$$$

Outside of America people use the Linux operating system (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, etc.) and the "work" utilities for making it actually do something (Open Office) and from then on you can add the programs you would like to actually have on your computer....all for FREE.

By the way, the last time I checked Microsoft Word still didn't open up Microsoft Works documents.  Open Office opens them all.

Whenever I need a freebie program that can do more than the one's I need to pay for, I do a search on my Linux machine first.  It usually ends up to be my one search.

Most American programs let one try it for a few days to see if they think it's worth buying by giving you a crippled version of the program.  Otherwise, go with the forever freebies of Linux.  One might think of it as Linux is the free market exchange of world-wide developers and Microsoft is the single-payer, one size fits all.  :)

And if that isn't enough savings, KODI is a Linux developed program that has been adapted to the PC that will give you truly free Movies and TV programs.  It's a bit more complex to set up, but I was able to drop Netflix and Dish.  The only thing that isn't out there yet is sports.  I have to go to the sports bar to see my favorite games. 

Where's the MB that handles this kind of practical application of today's technology?  And so where did I learn all this stuff?  Duh! from my kids!!  They can handle it.

Linux is for advanced users. Mac is for people who just want their computer to work with little fuss. Windows is for people who hate Mac but don't want the hassle of learning something new. Linux is for techies who hate Windows and Mac. Unix is for folks that really want to exercise their tech muscle. Mainframe is for people who want life-long job security.

Edited by Back Pack
  • Upvote 1

Struggling to add information to Eagle Scout Service Project pdf without negating the existing fillable entries.

Reach out to me with your email through private message or the Moderator Area.  I have full Adobe through work, and can add the fields you need.

The Eagle project workbook has a few DRM surprises in it because it was created using Adobe CS6. Unless you have that you'll just need to append the new old-fashioned way. Create your own template in Word and add the information there.

The tools which I have tried fail to read the 27 page Eagle workbook  a create the infamous 1 page  "Please Wait...",  as shown below.

Found this explanation from

http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/faq/if-this-message-is-not-eventually-replaced-by-the-proper-contents-of-the-document.php

Question

Why do I receive the error message below when I try to open specific PDF forms?

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows, Mac, or Linux by visiting

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit

This happens when I try render these PDF files using Quick PDF Library, Foxit Reader, Nitro Reader and numerous other PDF viewers. I can only open the PDF using the latest version of Adobe Reader.

Why?

Answer

Certain PDF files (dynamic XFA forms) created in Adobe LiveCycle can only be opened in Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat. When you try to open these files in an alternative PDF viewer, then you will see this error message.

Unfortunately, it's not easy remove this message and modify the PDF so that it can be opened in alternative PDF viewers. The person who created the original form must re-create the form using options that do not restrict which PDF viewers can open and display the file.

Adobe has made the decision that since very few non-Adobe products support these special PDF files, that it is better to show this message -- and require the user to download Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat -- than it is to let the PDF viewer try to render the document.

We strongly disagree with this decision that Adobe has made and will work to try to convince them to reverse this bad policy, which just causes needless confusion for users of PDF.

Edited by RememberSchiff

How do you identify an inferior system?

By the nature of its organization-wide mandate (http://www.scouting.org/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/EagleWorkbookProcedures.aspx):

Note: Do not attempt to open this workbook in a browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) or in programs such as Nuance PDF Converter. The workbook was created in Adobe LiveCycle, which must be saved to your computer and opened with Adobe Reader 9 or later. This enables the user to take advantage of the enhancements of expandable text boxes and importing images.

The entire fill-able electronic workbook should be scrapped. Specifications for proposals and reports need only be outlined, and the scout writes out his proposal free-format in the legible mechanism that best suits his skills and resources.

If a boy can't do that, then he's not ready to make rank. It's called sub-contracting. Welcome to the real world.

If a district can't adjust to different fonts and styles, then they aren't ready to work with boys.

BSA again using the wrong program for what their MEMBERS require.

LiveCycle is a great program for taking various applications and merging them in to a pdf for output, BUT ONLY if the document is a static doc that does not require input or manipulation by the end user.

Sure it's great for BSA's minions who have to manage the doc, but it stinks for the end user. There are digital rights filters in the doc that will trigger all sorts of fun formatting and content issues if you try to crack it with anything other than Adobe. 

How do you identify an inferior system?

By the nature of its organization-wide mandate (http://www.scouting.org/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/EagleWorkbookProcedures.aspx):

The entire fill-able electronic workbook should be scrapped. Specifications for proposals and reports need only be outlined, and the scout writes out his proposal free-format in the legible mechanism that best suits his skills and resources.

If a boy can't do that, then he's not ready to make rank. It's called sub-contracting. Welcome to the real world.

If a district can't adjust to different fonts and styles, then they aren't ready to work with boys.

Yes. It was not long also that BSA websites only worked with IE.

I am not a pdf expert but having read this

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/blog/acroforms-vs-xfa-forms/

I wonder if the Eagle workbook should be recreated as a pdf with an Acroforms format instead of the current XFA format?