Request for Summer Camp Suggestions

I take a book or two to read instead. 

I'm taking 500' of various colors of paracord.  Found a cool weave pattern I want to try on the handle of a bullwhip.  I figure 6 days 'ought to be enough time to plait a 4-belly whip.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to thank everybody for their recommendations.  I mentally coorelated it and passed it on to my nephew, so he could make an informed decision on his own. 

If merit badges will help, I'd recommend 2 or 3.  One of them should be swimming or pioneering or such, outdoor oriented.   Random thoughts:   - Being homesick is normal...even if home wasn't so g

One caution I would give is that in your initial post you talk about the collective wisdom here being against an over emphasis of taking a lot of merit badges at camp.  I think you're reading our sent

I'm taking 500' of various colors of paracord.  Found a cool weave pattern I want to try on the handle of a bullwhip.  I figure 6 days 'ought to be enough time to plait a 4-belly whip.

One year I took coils of silver parachord to wrap round mat in the bases of table markers for son #1's wedding.

Most camps have a first or second year camper program...ours was called "Finish First" and focused on T-2-1 skills for the first half of the day.  I would strongly recommend the younger scouts do that, plus one or two other MB like Swimming.  Scouts who are already first class should have free rein, but should not be allowed to just "hang out" for the week.  Too much free time can lead to unpleasantness.

@@scoutldr, it's S-T-2-1 now.  :)

S2FC for "Scout to First Class", or

T2FC for "Trail to First Class" if you want to keep the old shorthand under a different meaning.

I outright banned participation. (Okay, not exactly banned. Strongly emphasized that no 1st year had to attend our camp's program.)

Those scouts who already learned first class can occupy their free time teaching our those skills to 1st years. If nobody in camp knew a skill, they could then schedule an open period with the S2FC camp counselor. Or not. I didn't care and the SM was okay with that.

The downside: because we went through three years of cross-overs going to another troop, I am paying the price now with a few venturers who are week on the orienteering (among other things). That limits their program choices. But it's a mixed group. Some who attended the S2FC program at camp, some who didn't. The real problem is a "once and done" and "no time for next level challenges" attitude that had set in. Since they weren't under the gun to teach a bunch of first-years at camp, they blew off camporees and such and got pretty rusty.

^ merit badges give opportunity to teach new scouts skills. When I did my CIT plenty of younger scouts did rifle and archery to try it. One thing it does do is not overwhelm the staff for the area. Because our new scout program area is not that big (our entire camp is 158 acres). 

I was supposed to take shotgun at a summer camp. I am glad I was pulled. I just shot a pump action last year and my thumb was cut and my arm was sore.

You cannot take personal firearms to any Scout camp I am aware of UNLESS you get very special permission from your council. At least in my neck of the woods. You can get in serious you-know-what bringing a bow, firearm or even a sling shot on to council property.

I was supposed to take shotgun at a summer camp. I am glad I was pulled. I just shot a pump action last year and my thumb was cut and my arm was sore.

Our council recently bought pump actions and any firearm I did shoot was owned by the respective camps. :)

I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you give it another chance. Maybe not at camp. But, many local sportsman's clubs have good youth programs. And, they are often better able to size up boys to the firearm that will work best for them. It's a lot of fun shattering skeet with extreme prejudice.

Don't feel bad, My younger brother (law enforcement, knows his way around guns) has broken his nose twice deer hunting with high powered scoped rifles.  A cut on the thumb is no big deal and you'll learn over time how to hold and fire the different weapons.  A bit of strength in the arms will help with the targeting of a moving object with the shotgun shoot.  It'll come with time.

Our council recently bought pump actions and any firearm I did shoot was owned by the respective camps. :)

Our council's RSO was bringing the new cache of firearms (pistols, rifles, shotguns) to the local camp when he was pulled over. Thankfully in my state, a carload full of weapons does not draw too much attention from the troopers. ;) He showed his permits and told them where he was going and went on his way.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you give it another chance. Maybe not at camp. But, many local sportsman's clubs have good youth programs. And, they are often better able to size up boys to the firearm that will work best for them. It's a lot of fun shattering skeet with extreme prejudice.

The Sportman Clubs will likely start you with a semi-auto which has less recoil. As @@qwazse mentioned, stock size is important for length of pull, i.e., trigger reach. Their target ammo may also be a lighter, low velocity load. 20 gauge vs 12 gauge.