The Risk Management Team has facilitated two additional training pieces for Scouters to use to prepare to transport Scouts Safely in addition to the Risk Zone: Transporting Scouts Safely

15 Passenger Van Training is a short self-guided slide show.  As a reminder: Pre-2005 15-passenger vans are not authorized for Scouting activities.

Also, new is the Hartford Insurance Companies Driver Improvement Program which can be found on the BSA Learn Center, under Expanded Learning – Scouting U suggests the following: 

For BSA Learn Center – Members:

To begin your Program Safety training, login to https://my.scouting.org.  If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one.

There are 2 ways to get to the training.

Option 1:

On the opening page select the BSA Learn Center Graphic. This will open into a new window, taking you into the BSA Learn Center.

Option 2: Once you have logged in select the “Menu†button top left of the page. Then select “My Dashboard.†Then select “Training Center.†Select “Other.†Select “Program Safety.â€

Once on the home page scroll down to the Expanded Learning Section and Select “Program Safety.†This will take you to an “Expanded Learning Page.†Select the Learning Plan for “Program Safety.†Select the “+ Add Plan.â€

You may take the module of your choice from this area or go to the “My Learning†tab to begin training. 

• Upvote 1

As part of my responsibilities with the Red Cross, I was required to take the state's defensive driving course.  The cost is only $15 and the Red Cross picked up the cost because they mandated it.  As a result, my insurance premiums went down.  It's the first time in 50 years I have taken a driving education course and although much of it is review, I learned a lot of useful information. 

The one thing I did learn that was quite interesting was that when one drives the posted speed limit, especially in town, I spend a lot less time sitting at traffic lights.  I also notice that the same cars at the lights that whizzed past me have had to wait for me to catch up.  :)

Just a recommendation for anyone out there that might be interested.  The drop in my insurance premiums allowed me to up my liability coverage as well.  Costs me the same, but if I am in need, it's a big help.

• Upvote 1