Question about dry camps at Philmot

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 69RoadRunner

69RoadRunner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

I realize this thread is relatively old, but we're planning a 2019 Philmont trip for our troop.  Something I've read elsewhere for dry camps is to eat your cooked dinner at lunch time near a water source.  Then eat your lunch for dinner at the dry camp.

This would greatly reduce the amount of water necessary at the dry camp since you'd need none for cooking and cleanup.

Also, while I understand that Philmont mandates the use of chemical purification, would it be a good idea to take a Katadyn BeFree just to clean up murky water?

Thanks!

#22 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1628 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

I realize this thread is relatively old, but we're planning a 2019 Philmont trip for our troop.  Something I've read elsewhere for dry camps is to eat your cooked dinner at lunch time near a water source.  Then eat your lunch for dinner at the dry camp.

This would greatly reduce the amount of water necessary at the dry camp since you'd need none for cooking and cleanup.

Also, while I understand that Philmont mandates the use of chemical purification, would it be a good idea to take a Katadyn BeFree just to clean up murky water?

Thanks!

Officially Philmont recommends eating the meals in the order they are assigned. They claim it's for nutrition and needs based. Not sure if I buy it, but we followed their guidance on the matter. Often dry camps have some water source on the way to them so you don't have to hump the extra water excessively far. 

#23 69RoadRunner

69RoadRunner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Officially Philmont recommends eating the meals in the order they are assigned. They claim it's for nutrition and needs based. Not sure if I buy it, but we followed their guidance on the matter. Often dry camps have some water source on the way to them so you don't have to hump the extra water excessively far. 

Hmmmm.  I did not know that.  While I strongly disagree with the concept of backpacking with giant pots, I get their reasoning and wouldn't challenge it.  This one I think is just something someone made up with no basis in reality.

#24 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

I’ve been to Philmont the last two summer. They didn’t require use of purification tablets. If you had a filtration system you were fine. You might want a gallon water carrier or two to take to your dry site depending on your crew sizes and distance the next morning to water. We were glad we had one.

#25 Petey091

Petey091

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Philmont wants you to use their tabs to purify water. We used the tabs but also brought two Sawyer squeeze filters set up as granite filters. We had a lot of rain so most of the water sources we had was cloudy because of it. We used the filters to clear up the water and then used the tabs. At Philmont it is far easier to do as asked than buck the system.

#26 69RoadRunner

69RoadRunner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like using a filter like a BeFree prior to using the tablets might make the water more pleasant.

I understand going along with the Philmont rules.  Forcing meals in a specific order is a bit tough to swallow, though.  (I'll show myself out)

#27 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2704 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

Florida you often have to dry camp; many water sources are contaminated. I have carried 8 liters-it is heavy. I would add everyone needs to 'camel up' when you have a good water source and top everything off. Nothing worse for morale than running short of water. Been there, done that got the Scout leader dehydration patch. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users