Photo
- - - - -

Should camping at a scout camp (Sept to May) be required?

Best Answer David CO , 05 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

No.  The Chartered Organization owns the unit.  The council has no business telling a CO where its unit must camp.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

I thought the patrols were named after Sgt. Provo, of The Green Berets.

#22 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Some people like to own vacation homes and enjoy the familiarity of a home away from home.  Other people prefer to travel about and not be tied down to one place.  It is the same with scout units.  To each their own.

There is some advantage to having a "home" camp.  You can focus your attention (and donations) to one camp, giving your unit a better chance of actually making a difference.   

Edited by David CO, 06 May 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#23 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2426 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

We challenged our PLC to camp at all scout camps within a 2 hour drive. In the last 3 years, they have camped at seven different camps, two of which are now in danger of closing. It stimulates concern in them. Of course, it is a coincidence that those 2 camps have the most real estate value.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 06 May 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#24 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2426 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

Uggh another camp, but note the Council response.

http://www.ktuu.com/...-421542233.html

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) A group of nearly 150 boy scouts are getting hands on lessons in conservation of soil and water along with survival skills this weekend at Tozier Track.

It's part of an annual camporee session that takes place three times a year.

Ben Fish, camping chairman for the Great Alaska Council said it's a chance to unite local troops.

"It's important in that it gives an opportunity for all of the boys from the different troops throughout the Anchorage area and through the valley to come together, get to know scouts in other troops," Fish said.

Eagle Scouts like Puck Van Dommelen said they're also learning to lead by example.

"Boy Scouts has helped me a lot with my leadership skills, learning to organize projects similar to this," Van Dommelen said.

Leaders said while the scouts who are attending the camp are getting valuable experiences, they're seeing declining membership in Boy Scouts of America.

The Great Alaska Council voted in December to close Camp Carlquist near Chugiak, citing funding challenges, under-performing popcorn sales and declining camp attendance.

In a letter to its scouters and volunteers, the council said it would re-open the camp once membership and attendance improves.

According to its website, Great Alaska Council has 3 other camps in operation: Camp Gorsuch, Eagle River Scout Camp, and Denali High Adventure Scout Base.

Good luck with that approach.

#25 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11748 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Or... it could be that the camp closest to Anchorage is drawing urban youth that aren't as excited about bugs as the more rural units around rural camps.  Having 4 council camps (yes, Alaska is a big state...but sparsely populated) is very expensive and as the council says, closing it down is not the same as selling it off.  I can see the handwriting on the wall.  I just got back from a district spring camporee.  My district is the "urban" district and did not offer a camporee, but the other two districts did.  I had to go outside the district with my boys this past weekend.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#26 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

As a scout, I was on camp staff at Camp Gorsuch for three summers, 78 - 80.  Camp Carlquist (can't remember if that is its historical name) is about a 15 minute drive from Gorsuch.

Back in the day, Carlquist was a church camp with nice facilities that the BSA would sometimes use for training and conclaves and such (Gorsuch was quite primitive then).

As far as I can determine, the BSA acquired Carlquist from the church at some point.

When I was a staffer at Gorsuch, we'd have four/five sessions for summer camp, plus a staff week.  Last leaders' package I read on line, Gorsuch is down to two sessions.  As with many summer camps, they might be increasing attendance during the sessions to save costs, or attendance has fallen off.

Edited by desertrat77, 07 May 2017 - 08:42 PM.

#27 SpEdScouter

SpEdScouter

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

This is why Camp Bartle in Ossawatomi Missouri has Tribe of Micosay. Its a camp honor program where the only way one can gain rank is to go back to the same camp year after year. They push Micosay like crazy. One could even say Micosay is what keeps Bartle going. Some other camps have also put in similar programs.

OTOH if it wasnt for Miscosay, Bartle would be forced to improve some things. The old guard who run things though dont usually care for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq