Catholic Diocese boots out GS

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

I just read in the Kansas City Star that its Catholic Diocese has booted out the Girl Scouts.

#2 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1628 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Can't say I'm surprised. For now each diocese is allowed to decide if they want to continue having a Boy or Girl Scout troop.

#3 NealOnWheels

NealOnWheels

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

Here is the article...

http://www.kansascit...e147857619.html

#4 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

Upvote for providing the source. Not for the decision. Thank you NealOnWheels.

#5 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4472 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

https://www.catholic...o-cookie-sales/

#6 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Well, this is the model both GSUSA and BSA wanted: The local COs making the decision on which organizations they should support. Don't know why anyone is surprised or upset by this move. This is a CO taking steps to support those groups that align with their views and mission.

#7 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6841 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

I agree with Col. Flagg that this is the sound of a big tent ripping.

How big of a rip? In our neck of the woods, I can't think of a single church group of any denomination that sponsors a GS/USA unit. Some may give them space if asked. But, troops are generally home-based. A leader may ask the church she attends to borrow a room for meeting from time to time, but that's about it.

What will be interesting to see going forward: how many parishes promote new AHG units.

#8 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

What view and/or mission of the GSUSA would a CO oppose?

#9 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

What view and/or mission of the GSUSA would a CO oppose?

I think the articles outlined where the GSUSA has spent their time and efforts politically and how that does not align with Catholic beliefs and practices. 

If GSUSA wants to push certain agendas and align with organizations and groups that run contrary to some of their COs, they need to understand the consequences of doing so. This would be one of those consequences. 

#10 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

While i may not personally agree with every decision BSA makes, I value the opportunity it provides for boys. I feel the same about the GSUSA. It's a shame those opportunities will be fewer for girls.

#11 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

While i may not personally agree with every decision BSA makes, I value the opportunity it provides for boys. I feel the same about the GSUSA. It's a shame those opportunities will be fewer for girls.

The opportunity is not going away. It is just going somewhere else. GSUSA can go to all those groups which they supported politically and see if THEY will sponsor these troops. It's up to GSUSA to take care of their troops.

Did you feel bad for all the boys whose units lost their CO when BSA made their membership changes? We had 27 units fold in our county that never got new COs in time.

#12 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3179 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

I wish I could find it but someone commenting on this story in a newspaper found and posted a picture of Pope Francis greeting US Girl Scout leaders with a big smile on his face.

#13 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

I wish I could find it but someone commenting on this story in a newspaper found and posted a picture of Pope Francis greeting US Girl Scout leaders with a big smile on his face.

http://www.girlscout...is_meets_w.html

#14 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6315 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

It did not start out that way, but this thread has gradually crossed the line into that magical, storybook land known as Issues and Politics, where it will now be found.

#15 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

The opportunity is not going away. It is just going somewhere else. GSUSA can go to all those groups which they supported politically and see if THEY will sponsor these troops. It's up to GSUSA to take care of their troops.

Did you feel bad for all the boys whose units lost their CO when BSA made their membership changes? We had 27 units fold in our county that never got new COs in time.

Having a vested interest as a Scouter and as a father of a Scout makes me feel worse for the boys.

I will not assume opportunities will present themselves for all the girls affected. The 27 units in your county are a great example of why. 

#16 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12466 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

While BSA and GS/USA provide opportunity for the youth in America, certain religious organizations don't want that kind of opportunity that is promoted for their youth.  I have switched churches because of the opportunities they offered that I didn't want to be part of.  No difference here.  Parents decide what activities their children are involved in depending on the program offered.  The Catholic church is simply exercising its polite "No thank you." to the GS/USA.  They have the interest of the girls in mind in that they are allowing the girls to age out rather than just dumping the program immediately.

Is it a big political issue?  No, it's nothing more than the freedom to vote with one's feet.  After a hundred years of history, the CO's are walking out the door?  Well, what changed?  the CO or the BSA-GS/USA?  In as much as one would like to blame the CO for abandoning the youth group, a major case can be made for the shoe to be on the other foot.

I'm thinking that the Catholic church is going with the AHG because it more aligns with what they want their youth to be exposed to.  It won't be long before Trail Life/USA hits the scene for the boys.

#17 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

I had a similar thought abput Trail Life, Stosh. More power to them but not at the expense of the BSA. I can understand the Catholic Church as a whole or any Diocese within making the choice to go with AHG instead of GS. Or even BSA. Their right to do so. What bothers me are the kids that potentially miss out of an opportunity because of it. I am Catholic and a leader in a Troop chartered by a Catholic School. Every day I am thankful for the opportunity our CO provides for the boys in the Troop. If they decided not to charter the unit anymore, it's the boys that would suffer at no fault of their own.
The Archdiocese in Kansas City is the winner. The girls are the losers.

#18 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

Where are all these progressive organizations to pick up the slack?

#19 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

One might argue that the girls are the winners.  They will be getting an authentic Catholic education.

#20 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

☺ I know which side of the argument you're on. But that's for a different thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users