The problem I am having is that I have a scout that is using it, it is distracting the other scouts.  When the elder scouts approach him on it and ask him to put it away, he is rude and refuses.  So it is becoming more of an issue that it is distracting other scouts from attempting to get the work done they are trying to do.  I don't have a great background in ADHD so I wanted to gather some general info from other troops before jumping to a conclusion.  I don't abide by the "let kids be kids" statement.  We don't allow phones at scout meetings and campouts because they are a distraction for them and the other scouts.  This rule is the same for the adults attending scout functions as well.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's the real problem. Just because a scout is ADHD doesn't give him a pass on obedient or courteous.

If they sat there you ere not following the care instructions.  You were not exercising, watering, or talking to your rock.  Didn't play music for it or allow it to "sun."  You probably didn't even na

As DuctTape said, they are TOYS. They weren't designed as a medical aid for kids with ADHD - they are not a medical device. They are the 2017 equivalent of the Rubik's Cube. Remember those? These

These are toys. They were designed as toys, received a patent as toys and are used as toys. Some marketing genius figured he/she could promote them as a way to help kids focus. There are some medical pros who encourage this too. However beneficial these toys might be for the small minority of kids, the reality is almost every kid has one and are using them for fun and enjoyment, thus being used as designed as a toy.

All that said, in my opinion this is no different than the phone thread. I do not think any item should be banned by adults (or PLC) unless a direct safety issue is evident. A patrol should have activities which make the items either part of the activity, or useless in the activity. The boys decide what gear is needed.

The problem I am having is that I have a scout that is using it, it is distracting the other scouts.  When the elder scouts approach him on it and ask him to put it away, he is rude and refuses.  So it is becoming more of an issue that it is distracting other scouts from attempting to get the work done they are trying to do.  I don't have a great background in ADHD so I wanted to gather some general info from other troops before jumping to a conclusion.  I don't abide by the "let kids be kids" statement.  We don't allow phones at scout meetings and campouts because they are a distraction for them and the other scouts.  This rule is the same for the adults attending scout functions as well.

It sounds like you are dealing with a behavioral problem.  Trying to solve a behavioral problem by "banning" certain arbitrary objects which are by themselves benign (eg, phones, toys) does not get to the crux of the issue - and I believe that the youth pick up on this, and it ends up working against you.

I agree with DuctTape - this is pretty much the exact same issue as the phone thread.

he is rude and refuses.  ...  it is distracting other scouts from attempting to get the work done they are trying to do.

There's the real problem. Just because a scout is ADHD doesn't give him a pass on obedient or courteous.

• Upvote 4

I agree and have been attempting to deal with this.  Sadly, anything I talk with him about, isn't reinforced at home.

If one has a scout that needs a hand manipulative, check with the parents.  If the school he attends has done an assessment and determined he needs it, by law he cannot be denied it anymore than denying someone the use of any other medical or learning device such as wheel-chairs, braces, computer, talk-board, use of one's hands to communicate etc. which are  distractions as well.

I would check it out before banning such items.  A Scouter is to be obedient and courteous as well.

The scout is in a learning environment, he may need the tools to thus learn.

If one has a scout that needs a hand manipulative, check with the parents.  If the school he attends has done an assessment and determined he needs it, by law he cannot be denied it anymore than denying someone the use of any other medical or learning device such as wheel-chairs, braces, computer, talk-board, use of one's hands to communicate etc. which are  distractions as well.

In my state you wouldn't go to the school, you'd go to the parent to determine medical need. If he has one you have to allow it by state law.

I agree and have been attempting to deal with this.  Sadly, anything I talk with him about, isn't reinforced at home.

And now we come full circle to the phone thread. We experienced the same issue with phone usage. It would get abused and we would deal with the abuse in several ways. The other scouts saw the others seemingly "getting away" with their use. So the maturity wasn't happening as fast as the abuse was escalating. And any good work we were doing at Scouts was being undone by mom and dad at home...and the cycle continued.

I will say this having dealt with many ADD/ADHD/Asperger kids and their parents, if mom and dad are TRULY working to manage this behavior they will work with you, know ways to help the kid cope, give you strategies to manage him, etc. This means they actively are working to help the child.

If the DON'T, then you will NEVER fix this problem. Without the help and insight from home you are banging your head against a wall.

• Upvote 1

I will say this having dealt with many ADD/ADHD/Asperger kids and their parents, if mom and dad are TRULY working to manage this behavior they will work with you, know ways to help the kid cope, give you strategies to manage him, etc. This means they actively are working to help the child.

If the DON'T, then you will NEVER fix this problem. Without the help and insight from home you are banging your head against a wall.

I agree. When a scout's behavior becomes uncontrollable, the parents have to make a choice to actively solve the problem or find another program. It's their choice. A few parents have chosen to find another program.

Barry

• Upvote 1

I had noticed some really expensive tops for sale.  Today at the super market, eight different models at $2,99 each were ranged with the chap sticks, lighters, and candy bars at checkout.  The two teenagers ahead of me bought three each.  

We survived Pet Rocks. [so there!]

Mod. Note:  Ok, ok.

Edited by NJCubScouter

We survived Per Rocks.

Not to mention Pet Rocks.  But those just kind of sat there, as I recall.  Perhaps an analogy here would be the Tamagotchis, which I am sure I have spelled wrong, but I am sure some of you remember those.  I don't know what impact, if any, those had on Scouting, because my daughters had already quit Girl Scouts when those became the "big thing", and my son was not interested in them, and if I recall correctly they were mainly a "girl thing" anyway.  There is probably still a broken one lurking around in a dresser drawer somewhere in my house, from my oldest daughter.  But I would think they would have been a prime candidate for "banning" at Scout meetings.

Not to mention Pet Rocks.  But those just kind of sat there, as I recall.  Perhaps an analogy here would be the Tamagotchis, which I am sure I have spelled wrong, but I am sure some of you remember those.  I don't know what impact, if any, those had on Scouting, because my daughters had already quit Girl Scouts when those became the "big thing", and my son was not interested in them, and if I recall correctly they were mainly a "girl thing" anyway.  There is probably still a broken one lurking around in a dresser drawer somewhere in my house, from my oldest daughter.  But I would think they would have been a prime candidate for "banning" at Scout meetings.

If they sat there you ere not following the care instructions.  You were not exercising, watering, or talking to your rock.  Didn't play music for it or allow it to "sun."  You probably didn't even name it.  Poor little Pebble.  Do you even care if Gary has been dead two years !!!  :(

https://www.amazon.com/Rockinthebox-Rock-Walking-Leash-Kraft/dp/B008PSP5SG

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 2

As DuctTape said, they are TOYS. They weren't designed as a medical aid for kids with ADHD - they are not a medical device. They are the 2017 equivalent of the Rubik's Cube. Remember those? These are a fad - like hula hoops were once, like Rubik's Cubers were once, like Pokemon Go was once - and like all fads, it'll fade away. You can buy these things just about anywhere now - my local 7-11 has them for sale with a handwritten sign on the door that said "We have Tri-Spinner-Figits. Just tell the Scouts to put them away during the meeting - no need for the PLC - remind them that A Scout is Courteous and that being courteous means one isn't rudely playing with a toy while others are speaking.

• Upvote 2

Tamagochi's? really? Don't you remember Klackers? Two acrylic balls on a string. And the theme song: "They're Klackers, they're klackers, must have some balls to play..." until they explode.