41 replies to this topic

#41 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1730 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Stosh,

Unfortunately I made the mistake of not only going to a private college (the partial scholarship to it helped make that decision), but going to grad school twice, once for a history degree that there is an overabundance in the market of, and then a library degree. I will be finished with my student loan debt when my kids are out of college.  I wish I would be debt free at 50.

On a different note since I'm the one responsible for helping people go back to school at my job, I know a lot more now than my mom ever did about the college process, transfer credit, financial aid etc. I hope and pray that my kids follow my advice, and do the 2 year community college program, then tranfer to a state school for the final 2 years. Or even take advantage of the early scholars program where they can take college credit classes at the local community college while JRs and SRs in high school, and have it applied to they bachelors degree.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#42 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11809 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

If one were to check the laws in their own state they might discover a little loop hole available to kids today. 

In our state, all minors under the age of 18 are required by law to attend school.  So, my daughters are homeschooling their children and for every year they advance faster than public school children and taking into account college credit in the AP offerings of the local colleges, one can literally get 1, 2, 3, or maybe all 4 years of college FREE (if they are Doogie Howser)!  Even if they could only get ahead 2 years, that's close to $100,000 worth of college for free.

Never take anything at face value, do your research!  Otherwise, one has to pay for their ignorance.

Edited by Stosh, 12 May 2017 - 09:47 PM.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq