I'm so tired

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I am curious about how large some of your troops are.  Our troop is on the small side with about 20-25 Scouts in it and it's almost a given that our Scouts can become an Eagle Scout if they want that to happen.  Not all do but when you have a smaller troop, everyone has a fair chance to get all the rank requirements done because when you go on outings, there are ample opportunities.  And, there are plenty of opportunities for leadership too.  ....

Hi @CA Scout Mom. You seem to be implying that larger troops have fewer opportunities for leadership. That certainly isn't the case in my troop and probably not most. I currently have about 45 scouts and have been as high as 70. As the troop grows the number of patrols grow and the number of PORs grow. It is more closely related to the number of patrols. There are also PORs outside of the troop, such as Den Chiefs. The 4-6% rate of Eagles is some mythical number as far as I can tell. It might include any boy that has ever been in any scout program. So the tiger cub that decided he was not interested in scouts and dropped could be part of that number. Anyway, I once made a rough guess of the percentage of scouts who filled out an app to join my troop and eventually got Eagle there and it was in the high 30s.

But, I think the point that Mashmaster is making is that advancement is not the sole purpose of scouting. I think a better indication of how good a troop is is the number of scouts that stick around until they're 18. That's just a metric and so please take it with a grain of salt.

#22 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

My cousin and I were both pushed to get Eagle. He got his at 13 and quit. I got Life at 13, and could have gotten Eagle at 14y7m, which was when I completed the project, IF I would have focused only on getting the last few MBs for Eagle.

But when I was 14, instead of taking MB classes at summer camp, I did a local "high adventure" backpacking trek for fun. I also did Brownsea 22, yesterday's NYLT, learning a lot and having, fun. At 15, I got into the OA, went to jamboree, did a Canadian expedition. It was all fun. Work, challenging, but FUN. At 16 and 17, I spent summers working my tail off. No time to finish up MB.

Then when it was announced that one of the guys I was PL for passed his EBOR and was waiting for national approval, it hit me. I have x number of months to get the last 2 or 3 MBs. I made it. Took me a while, but I made it. And I had a blast.

Fast forward 20+ years. My cousin has a son who become a Tiger. Thankfully he doesn't push his son to get Eagle. My cousin becomes a Scouter, and tags along on his son's adventures: OA, Philmont, etc. Stuff he should have done as a youth. And he had fun doing it.

My point it, to many folks focus on Eagle, and not the lessons and fun of the Trail.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq