Camping By the River - LNT Toilet

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 EagleonFire

EagleonFire

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Kitty litter is terrible. We tried it, we hated it. After a bunch of research we do a 2 bucket system with a 50/50 mix of peat moss and cedar shavings. It is lighter to transport and doesn't have the issues we experienced with humans urinating too much for the kitty litter to be effective.

We start the trip with a bag in one bucket and in the bottom of the bag is about 2 inches of material. The second bucket just has material in it and after each use the person just throws a scoop of material onto their waste this really keeps the smell down as well.

BTW I learned this by researching composting toilets for off grid use as well as getting info from horse stable owners.

#22 frankpalazzi

frankpalazzi

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

When in doubt, ask the local land manager how they would like you to dispose of waste.

You stole my thunder!  When in doubt, ask "The Man". (or The "Lady"--no Chauvinism intended.)  :)

#23 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2189 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

Yes, but as noted above, one should not really be camping in a flood plain. ;) And lets face it, if the reasoning for camping in the flood plain is that "It only ever gets so high" then the reasoning for not urinating in the flood plain is gone. If the water only gets so high except on really, really rare occasions, then urine will make its way through the system before any "flood" can cause it to be intermingled with fresh water.

Feces is another matter. Kitty litter being the best option.

Depends on the local conditions, in terms of the flood plain.  Watch the weather, and it's not a problem, at least in the Southeast.  I wouldn't make those recommendations for the Southwest. 

Edited by perdidochas, 21 April 2017 - 09:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq