My official BSA history

Got a printout of my official BSA record today.

It reveals that I completed basic Scoutmaster training on January 1, 1911.  (And Stosh thinks he's a vet.  :p )

Then again, almost everything I did between 1954 and 2007 is absent. 

Armed with the official printout, I went to the Scout Shop to purchase a 100-year Service Pin, only to discover that 90 years is all they catalog.  Age discrimination?  

Given that some have been told they are not qualified by training of record for certain positions, I find this fanciful official record amusing in the "funny peculiar" sort of way.

As I told B-P, "You may have something here."  :)

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 4

Got a printout of my official BSA record today.

It reveals that I completed basic Scoutmaster training on January 1, 1911.  (And Stosh thinks he's a vet.  :p )

As I told B-P, "You may have something here."  :)

What make anyone think I know anything about fixing Bob's horse?

I feel bad over further evidence of ineptitude.   :(

It's a data thing. They clearly have more than one source for data getting pulled by the application OR their processes are such that some how data input by the user gets overwritten by the system itself.

You are correct. It's evidence of IT ineptitude.

We, at least, had accurate data until all councils were pressured to use national software - that would import the existing data from the local software.  NOT.

Immediately post-change,  I was shown as trained as of 1910 and a district chair before my birth or the existence of that district.  Every time the locals try to correct the records, new fantasies appear to replace the old and accurate data disappears.

Yep, being older than dirt causes a lot of problems with these newbie techies and their attempts to "fix" issues.  A lot started with the Y2K stuff; many programs were not built to deal with two centuries, even though at the time probably half the adult membership were born in the earlier part of the 20th.

I tried to track down my Philmont training; I took 5 summer courses when I was younger.  Those records were never computerized and simply have disappeared, or had at the time, into a hole someplace.  I can only find some of the verification, but simply gave up.

Still have a slim hope that the mess with my Eagle data might someday get fixed in "ALL" records.  They show me in some files as becoming Eagle in the city and council I have been in since late 1977.  But, I earned it in a totally different place and council; and the council has been gone for years, absorbed by Inland Empire.  The troop/post I was in also is gone for many years.  So, if someone actually was trying to locate me, not that that actually might occur, they would not have much luck if they do not know where I live now.

Oh well.  At least they are trying.  At least I think they are.  Not too many more years, and nobody will care about many of us curmudgeon scouters.

Don't get me started with training records!  :mad: Back in the day, I was responsible for updating council records. 1/2 to 2/3s of the courses were not listed. Very few were considered 'trained" (aside, try telling a long time Scouter who served on PTC staff several years they are "untrained"). Long story short, told to use the updated courses and #s, but put the original dates. Worked for a while until older courses were added, Then had to start the entire process all over again.

It could be worse though. Very briefly for a time, national stated that you had to have CURRENT (emphasis) training coursed to be considered trained. Thankfully enough people complained and they changed the policy back.

At least I am of the age where the training records really don't matter. 

Council: Mr. Stosh, it would appear that on the records you have never taken __________ training and you need it.

Me: That's nice.  I'll check my calendar and find a day or two that I can totally waste so we can clear this up.  I'll get back to you.

I am an SM+MBC, taken all the training available for both BSA and Venturing. Added WRFA, Wilderness First Responder, COPE, Climbing, etc.

My records read like this:

• National: Shows me as SM, 80% of my training, get over written a few times a year which I have to ask someone else on the Key 3 to update since I cannot update my own data.

• Council: Shows me as Cubmaster and ASM, has 20% of my training...all wrong.  Won't let me make changes to my data. Does not show me as an MBC nor any of that associated training.

One would think councils would realize their systems are worse than national and just agree to have one system.

Immediately post-change,  I was shown as trained as of 1910 and a district chair before my birth or the existence of that district.  Every time the locals try to correct the records, new fantasies appear to replace the old and accurate data disappears.

Maybe it's a reincarnation thing.