Equipment forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

I think there should be an equipment forum added so we can all share reviews of good and bad camping equipment when used with scouting adventures.  For instance, I am looking at lightweight cots and trying to decide what works and what doesn't.  Do I go with Thermarest ultralight?  or a chinese knock off.  Or Helinox knock off.

What do y'all think?  AM I the only one that would find this useful?

#2 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6142 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

There already is one:  Equipment reviews and discussions.  Well, technically it is a sub-forum of this forum (Camping and High Adventure) but I don't see how it would make a difference.  It's just a little more difficult to find than a main forum.

#3 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

I'm sure you're looking for a backpack cot, but I have one for canoeing that is lightweight, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all over the place.  It's canvas with 4 wood poles like the traditional army cot, but instead it has 4 heavy wire "legs" that cross side-ways and holds the cot open.  It is about 3-4" off the ground so it makes an good comfortable cot in a pup tent style shelter.  It's just enough off the ground for the old military pup-tent that when it rains the water can flow through and I don't get wet. 

I'm a bit old school in that the plop camping we do, I like the durability of canvas over nylon.  My nylon tents always guarantee I get wet, even with the Kelty 3 man and Kelty 4 man that I currently used for fair weather.

#4 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:04 PM

There already is one:  Equipment reviews and discussions.  Well, technically it is a sub-forum of this forum (Camping and High Adventure) but I don't see how it would make a difference.  It's just a little more difficult to find than a main forum.

Hard to find, yeah, I never saw it.  If I have been here for a while and never noticed it, I bet most everyone else has too.

#5 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

I have no idea why you missed it, it's in the fine print of the YPT training as well as the GTA.  :)

#6 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

I have no idea why you missed it, it's in the fine print of the YPT training as well as the GTA.  :)

LOL

#7 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 2000 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

I never really understood the breakout into subforums all that much

I log in, look at posts since my last visit....and never know where they are.

It's just more work for me when I want to make a new thread, to make reasonable effort to get it into the right place

answered about the cot in your other thread

Edited by blw2, 07 April 2017 - 11:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq