Could a 9-year-old join Scouts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6315 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

Calico, well that is what it means, anyway. But the way it is written in the quote in the original post, it could be misinterpreted so that the "or" after "one who has completed the fifth grade" breaks the connection between the "and" and "one who has completed the fifth grade".

The way it is written on the application (which I quoted above) avoids this problem by using the phrase "and is at least 10 years old" twice, so there is no question what it connects to.

#22 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2241 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

I think he can if he has completed fifth grade. Read the wording carefully from Scouting.org and take note of the "or."

Meet the age requirements. Be a boy who is 11 years old, or one who has completed the fifth grade or earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old.

I would recommend against it.  I agree the wording is strange, but it would be rare for a 9 year old to be able to physically and emotionally succeed as a Boy Scout. I would recommend a year at Webelos Scout (or Arrow of Light Scout) first. 

#23 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Can we seriously just close this thread? It is clear (see citation) that Boy Scouting is for boys at least 10 years old. There's literally no discussion beyond how poorly BSA harmonizes their various documentation....which we are discussing in about 10 other threads.  :eek:

#24 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6315 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Can we seriously just close this thread? It is clear (see citation) that Boy Scouting is for boys at least 10 years old. There's literally no discussion beyond how poorly BSA harmonizes their various documentation....which we are discussing in about 10 other threads.  :eek:

We don't normally close threads just because a question has been answered.  Or at least, I don't.  We let the discussion end of its own accord, and if people want to keep talking about something, there's no accord.

#25 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

WTDnnwE.gif

#26 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6315 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

Col. Flagg, for crying out loud, this thread has been open for just about 7 hours.   By the standards of this forum, the horse hasn't even been born yet.  A Scout is Patient.  (Another one they didn't have room for.)

#27 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Col. Flagg, for crying out loud, this thread has been open for just about 7 hours.   By the standards of this forum, the horse hasn't even been born yet.  A Scout is Patient.  (Another one they didn't have room for.)

No, a Scout is not patient, a Scoutmaster is.  :p

However, when we are only on page two and folks are answering a question for the tenth time that was aptly answered withing the first few posts; then to carry the analogy further, the horse was still born with a line of people lined up to beat the snot out of it. ;)

Edited by Col. Flagg, 05 April 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#28 T2Eagle

T2Eagle

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

No, a Scout is not patient, a Scoutmaster is.  :p

However, when we are only on page two and folks are answering a question for the tenth time that was aptly answered withing the first few posts; then to carry the analogy further, the horse was still born with a line of people lined up to beat the snot out of it. ;)

Just because beating dead horses isn't of interest to you doesn't mean the rest of us don't find some pleasure or at least relief in it.

As I tell my wife after having given the same set of instructions/guidance/advice to my teen age son for the umpteenth time, "well, at least I feel better because I said it."

#29 DuctTape

DuctTape

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

They should just make it 11, and get rid of the grade level and arrow of light nonesense.

New marketing for cubs, "These go to eleven." ;)

#30 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6841 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:05 AM

Just because beating dead horses isn't of interest to you doesn't mean the rest of us don't find some pleasure or at least relief in it.

.... fond memories traveling poor and ordering horse steaks in .2 Kg slices ... then tenderizing to country fry ...

@CherokeeScouter, pick a best answer so Flagg can justify his indignation.

Edited by qwazse, 06 April 2017 - 05:10 AM.

#31 krikkitbot

krikkitbot

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Has anyone mentioned that it is written one way in one publication and another way in a different publication?

What about that there are 2 clauses, not 3? Just checking.

//I present my horse for sacrifice ;)

#32 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

.... fond memories traveling poor and ordering horse steaks in .2 Kg slices ... then tenderizing to country fry ...

@CherokeeScouter, pick a best answer so Flagg can justify his indignation.

I need no validation of my indignation. It's clear...and has been since 2004. You have to be AT LEAST 10 to join Cubs. Done. Next topic. ;)

Edited by Col. Flagg, 06 April 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#33 eagle90

eagle90

• Members
  • 1239 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

Who would actually WANT a 9-year old in their troop?  My older scouts don't even like associating with the 11-year olds, let alone a nine year old.  I can see a LOT of home-sickness at campouts and summer camp.  Don't rush things! 

#34 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2929 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

Let's talk about the unsubscribe link not working.
cleardot.gif

Edited by TAHAWK, 06 April 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#35 CherokeeScouter

CherokeeScouter

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

You guys are too funny. Since I am the OP, indulge me and let me the drop the mic on this one. 

Tx for explaining it,  though. 

#36 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

You guys are too funny. Since I am the OP, indulge me and let me the drop the mic on this one. 

But you need a gif to punctuate it or it does not work.  ;)

[like how I tied the mic drop to Captain Obvious and the overall tenor of the thread?]

tenor.gif

Edited by Col. Flagg, 06 April 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#37 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12466 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Who would actually WANT a 9-year old in their troop?  My older scouts don't even like associating with the 11-year olds, let alone a nine year old.  I can see a LOT of home-sickness at campouts and summer camp.  Don't rush things! 

Hmmmmm, you have older scouts that really don't like associating with the new guys?  That's not what some have been trying to tell me because what you're saying seems to fit my units and those in my neighborhood, too.

You try putting all those new guys into existing patrols?  How's that working out?

There are age limitations for a reason.... they make age appropriate activities applicable. 

#38 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3003 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Mic dropped by OP, topic locked.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 06 April 2017 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users