United Way

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 EagleonFire

EagleonFire

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Pictures? Bring a kid! Sounds like you have one or more of those!

These folks have been power-pointed to death. Pass around polaroids, crafts past campers have made, scrapbooks. If the kid functions well enough, have a simple interview about what he/she likes or dislikes and is looking forward to. If he/she doesn't speak much, have a parent talk about what it means to have a place like this for their child.

That cuts the time you need for any old hillbilly shtick to just a couple minutes. Chances are the only other A/V you may want are a pie-chart of income, one of expenses, and some graphic of numbers served by category (age, level of disability, etc..).

Bringing a kid would be the number 1 choice but they are having the meeting at a time when I would have to pull a kid out of school about 30 minutes early. I just don't know if I can bring myself to do that. My piece is supposed to be mostly about club level stuff but I feel like I have to talk about the Camp CANOE for a bit. It looks like I need to just get to off my lazy butt and get to Walgreens at the very least. I really appreciate all the input guys.

#22 EagleonFire

EagleonFire

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:45 PM

I just realized that EagleonFire is talking about a Camp Fire council (Camp Fire Heart of Oklahoma) and its camp C.A.N.O.E. (Children with Autism Need Outdoor Education).

I misunderstood his post.  I thought he was talking about a BSA council.  I apologize to EagleonFire for the misunderstanding. 

Yes, I agree that camp C.A.N.O.E. is very worthy of United Way support.  I wish him luck with his speech.

No need to apologize. I am talking about a campfire council. The Camp canoe is only one piece of what they will be funding. And I get being a little frustrated with council members. I get frustrated that so much attention is given to outdoor school programs and facility rentals ( a scouting camp hidden in the middle of a metropolitan area is a goldmine for weddings and corporate retreats) I feel like all attention should be given to the clubs

#23 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

No need to apologize. I am talking about a campfire council. The Camp canoe is only one piece of what they will be funding. And I get being a little frustrated with council members. I get frustrated that so much attention is given to outdoor school programs and facility rentals ( a scouting camp hidden in the middle of a metropolitan area is a goldmine for weddings and corporate retreats) I feel like all attention should be given to the clubs

We have the same problem with our local zoo.  They've halved the number of animals, and added a wedding/reception area in its place.  Apparently, campgrounds and zoos have become popular venues for weddings.

#24 EagleonFire

EagleonFire

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Just to give an update on the united way meeting. It seemed to go well, I was able to touch on why we chose to start a campfire club, how it related to what most would consider traditional scouting. Some of the things we have done over this past year, and how I have seen the kids grow. I was able to speak very briefly on my scouting background as to give a reference point that I did know what I was speaking of as well. It was nice that at least one of the committee members had turned out to be an eagle as well and could relate to what I was speaking on.

It was also a bit of a confidence builder that the committee chair asked for my speech so he could present it to the people he reported to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq