Scout Discord?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

My plc just set up a discord server and it is working out great. I'm not sure why but they communicate more when there's an app involved. It supports being goofy and limits it because they can only type so much.

As for making a huge scout server the idea sounds cool. Being able to make new friends in far away places is what ham radio is all about. You're just trying it with different technology. But I'm wondering about the details. With 100k users it might be hard to keep a thought in focus. Once in a while I watch this giraffe in NY and there's a stream of messages flowing on that I can't imagine anyone being able to comprehend. There's also the issue of people using it for reasons you don't want - spammers, trolls, phishing, etc. I think it can be solved but it is a big deal and it needs to be solved.

How about this: start small and grow it. Set it up, go to round table, announce it to the troops in your district. Let it grow. See what the problems are and fix them. Find other districts. Repeat. Picking districts far away from you could be a fun way to find out about new places to go on high adventure trips.

I'd be interested in knowing how it goes.

#22 BeastlyGaming

BeastlyGaming

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

I was just going to grab a feel people from this lovely forums to get a real mix of councils... Not really whole troops, but if those people wanted to invite their troops they certainly could!

#23 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

Nor am I a child when it comes to technology... 

Remember to be humble. We all thought we knew everything when we were 16 too. Then we found out later how wrong we were. Many people on this forum have been doing heavy-duty tech stuff for over 30+ years. Keep the passion but always remember: Developers of tech plan, plan, plan, test, plan, test and then execute. We never assume security or legal/regulatory issues away. The end user experience is always on our mind.

Even the best planned tech can have devastating results with just one mislaid assumption. Great example.

Edited by Col. Flagg, 04 April 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#24 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12207 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

I started my techie adventure in 1968 when I took Computer Science in college.  Chain printers, mainframe only and keypunch cards.  Yes, I have used a first out PC where the computer, screen and keyboard were all one piece.  I was upset when I had to move off DOS and start using a mouse.  And yet there is a whole new world out there that I haven't the foggiest idea what they are up to.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#25 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

//DPOSRH1  JOB  ACCT,'DELETE DATASET',MSGCLASS=J,CLASS=A
//NOTHING  EXEC PGM=IEFBR14                      
//DELETEME DD DSN=DPOSRH.OBSOLETE.DATASET,
//            DISP=(MOD,DELETE,DELETE),UNIT=DASD

:cool: 

#26 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12207 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

or better yet try to make a nice display screen using only ASCII characters.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq