Cub scouts - How to avoid Lions ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 5844 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Is this why I see a high number of older scouts taking a hiatus from scouting and then coming back and finishing THEIR eagle?  As altruist as that may sound, I don't readily see it among the older scouts.  Yes, there are those boys who do think of scouting as helping other people at all times, most often it is because their parents are actively involved in scouting and have instilled that attitude in their children.  Ideally it is what scouting is all about.  I wish that there were more scouts out there that understand it better.

No! 

The high risk high school where my son teaches was given an award for performing best among the high risk schools in the area. I asked my son why his school performed better and he said expectations placed on the students. The expectations of his administration are more ambitious than the other schools. The teachers take and pushed those expectations on their students and the result is better performance over the whole school.  

I gave scouters at adult leader training the same lesson, but it was nice to see it reinforced. The expectations of scouts in each unit are set by their adults. The differences of adults are why scouts perform differently in different units. Any adult who thinks they don't have any influence on their scouts behavior habits are naive. 

Different expectations of different units is neither a good or bad. We are who we are and very rarely can we change. Variety is the spice of life. The benefit of this forum is that scouters who read the different experiences of difference posters can pick the ideas that will work best for them. 

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

#42 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5871 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Some Scoutmasters I worked with agreed that the Tiger program alone almost doubles the number adults require to manage the whole pack. Our pack experience was much the same.

I would say that's true, either the number of adults, or the amount of adult time spent. When I was Assistant Cubmaster I probably spent half my time helping the Tiger Den Leaders, recruiting new Tiger Den Leaders, learning enough about the "new" Tiger program* to help the leaders, etc. etc.

*When my son was a Tiger (1998-99 I guess) there was no Tiger handbook, there was just a packet of materials.  By the time I was an ACM and trying to help the Tiger leaders, there was a handbook, so in order to help them effectively, I had to read it, or at least skim it.  In effect, it was a new program.

#43 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 5844 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

*When my son was a Tiger (1998-99 I guess) there was no Tiger handbook, there was just a packet of materials.  By the time I was an ACM and trying to help the Tiger leaders, there was a handbook, so in order to help them effectively, I had to read it, or at least skim it.  In effect, it was a new program.

Yes, the change occurred in 2000. We on the district had been informed 1998 the Tiger program was changing. Maybe because we assumed National was feeling our pain, we expected the changes were going the other way, requiring less adult time and less meetings. Nope, National went the other way and required more adult time, more meetings and changed to the more expensive official cub uniform. I was the District Membership Chair at the time and presented the new program to the Cubmasters. They were not happy. And, the Wolf numbers dropped as a result of the increase of Tiger drop outs. I couldn't believe National wasn't seeing the problems those of us in the trenches were seeing. Take a look at the 2005/2006 troop numbers and you will see a drop that was a direct result of the Tiger changes in 2000. 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad, 05 April 2017 - 01:12 PM.

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq