• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

So I've mentioned reading this book a few times lately in various posts.  Well, I finally finished it today over lunch.

I highly suggest it.  If you are here, you are interested in scouting and scouting stories so you will enjoy this book.

The short of it is, this guy was a scout in the 1940's.  Became a SM as a young adult and led a few units through a very outdoor adventure oriented program through something like 40 years.  It's divided up into short stories, which makes it an easy read.... with a good amount of chuckles every few pages.  Some of it is a bit dated, in that there were things done that I cannot even imagine being considered today, but in that you also get a taste of what scouting used to be in a way, too... and he had some great co-ed stories too, with some coed adventures with a GS troop, and then later with an explorer post

Seems like they did a lot of backwoods type backpacking and canoe trips, some winter adventures too.  As a scouter in a tailgate/ troop trailer plop camping troop....It really struck me how great folks out west must have it, with lots of really great options of places to go.

http://www.goodreads...-in-my-backpack

#2 deanofmac

deanofmac

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

I read that book when my son entered Cubs in 2007. It is  great read!!

- Dean

Dean Roberts

Scoutmaster, Troop 315 Macomb
I used to be an Owl, C3-133-11
..and a Staffer too! C3-133-14 and C3-133-16

#3 TWCub

TWCub

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

I looked on Amazon for this book.  Cost of $99.  Where did you get your copy?  Not sure I want to pay that much.  

Another fun scouting book for leaders is "I Thought Scout Uniforms Were Fireproof!"

#4 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I think I bought it used on amazon

but not too long ago I saw it on sale at scoutstuff.org....or maybe that is where I bought it. Can't remember for sure....

$99 wow, I should have kept better care of it!  Been throwing my copy around in the truck, and eating lunch with it.  A bit worn and dog eared now.

#5 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Try here. Says $20.

#6 TWCub

TWCub

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Try here. Says $20.

Thank you!

#7 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2185 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Looks like folks are responding well to the recommendation, @blw2

I ordered a used one from Amazon yesterday and paid about 9 bucks, shipping included.  There weren't many cheap used copies available then.

Naturally, buying a used copy from a thrift store located in another state means that delivery will be slow, pack-mule slow.   But I'm looking forward to reading it.

#8 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

Shame there's no e-book.

#9 Ian

Ian

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

So I've mentioned reading this book a few times lately in various posts.  Well, I finally finished it today over lunch.
I highly suggest it.  If you are here, you are interested in scouting and scouting stories so you will enjoy this book.

The short of it is, this guy was a scout in the 1940's.  Became a SM as a young adult and led a few units through a very outdoor adventure oriented program through something like 40 years.  It's divided up into short stories, which makes it an easy read.... with a good amount of chuckles every few pages.  Some of it is a bit dated, in that there were things done that I cannot even imagine being considered today, but in that you also get a taste of what scouting used to be in a way, too... and he had some great co-ed stories too, with some coed adventures with a GS troop, and then later with an explorer post

Seems like they did a lot of backwoods type backpacking and canoe trips, some winter adventures too.  As a scouter in a tailgate/ troop trailer plop camping troop....It really struck me how great folks out west must have it, with lots of really great options of places to go.

http://www.goodreads...-in-my-backpack

blw2,

I was fortunate enough to have Tom as my SM. 

Here is a photo of Tom giving the son of one of my fellow scouts a copy of "Rocks" yesterday at this young mans Eagle Court of Honor yesterday.

Ian

17434705_10208776147345369_1333727829858

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq