• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6710 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

... "Bummer, I bet you never do that again!"

@ianwilkins, Do Brits still blush at that? Or have we desensitized you with our ignorance of your slang?

#42 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2886 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

I did wonder what it felt like as the cold, clammy water-burdened tarp pressed down on the sleeping faces before the ultimate collapse.  But I heard no screams - until after the collapse.

Next day it was on the trail to backpack to Saturday night's campsite - wet sleeping bags and all.

They decided they had "discovered" a cool way to collect rain water.  Lemons.  Lemonade.  I guess.

But they never pitched a tarp as shelter that way again.  Nobody died.

#43 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

I did wonder what it felt like as the cold, clammy water-burdened tarp pressed down on the sleeping faces before the ultimate collapse.  But I heard no screams - until after the collapse.

Next day it was on the trail to backpack to Saturday night's campsite - wet sleeping bags and all.

They decided they had "discovered" a cool way to collect rain water.  Lemons.  Lemonade.  I guess.

But they never pitched a tarp as shelter that way again.  Nobody died.

The best life lessons are learned by failure.  Not only did these scouts learn, they will in fact pass on their experiences around the campfire for the next generation of scouts.  Even then the next generation is going to maybe have to learn the lessons over again on their own, but hey, that's life.

#44 ianwilkins

ianwilkins

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:54 AM

I like your style.  Best lessons are those taught at a practical level.  "Bummer, I bet you never do that again!"

It was sunny the next day, and as I walked up to them the sun shone right through the pendulous low hanging hood. "Look! Come here! Look at the sun shining through the water! That's cool, you can see how much has collected!" - they seemed slightly less enamoured.

@ianwilkins, Do Brits still blush at that? Or have we desensitized you with our ignorance of your slang?

Totally desensitised. Blame Bill and Ted* and Wayne's World, at least for my desensitising. Well, I might not use "bummer" with cubs or younger, and I'd suspect it would sound old fashioned to young years, but no, I'm not blushing. :)

* I do use "Be Excellent to each other" sometimes when signing off.

#45 MerleneMir

MerleneMir

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:55 AM

Has anyone used thermal heat insoles for camping? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq