• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12210 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

It often surprises me how ineffective any group can be by writing off those of younger years.  While the old codgers are complaining about not having the energy to do what they want to do, they would rather burn out than use their leadership and experience to coach younger scouters.  We see these same old farts whining about their older boys not wanting to instruct and interact with younger boys, while at the same time demonstrate to them that they in fact can't do it themselves.

I found out a long time ago that if one wishes to seek out new adventures to keep from burning out in any program, whether it be one's career, their families or the groups they volunteer for, unless one is training someone to take over for you, you'll be forever stuck in that place.  If one finds themselves standing in the middle of a bad situation there's only three recourses one can make.  Either 1) stay where you are at and suffer, 2) train someone with more energy and stamina to take over, or 3) abandon ship and let it sink.  

I always feel sorry for those old experienced scouters who aren't wise enough to see this and the only ones that suffers are the boys.  Too often the myopic vision of older scouters is to only teach leadership to the boys when in fact he/she needs to be teaching it everyone around them. 

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq