Canada Girl Guides restricting scout unit travel to USA

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if they visit some college campuses, and they are conservatives, they might not be afforded the acceptance of diversity that the law and society requires, so I see their point.

How is this nonsensical? I think it's a reasonable precaution. I'm a natural born US citizen, but I wouldn't take a scout unit into Canada in the current environment as I'm not sure I would be able to

Given the temporary nature of the travel ban I think that the Canadian Guides are indeed jumping the gun.   But as per Rick's comments it is something that organisations around the world, whether th

Apparently smartphones below a certain size are exempt from this, which I am not sure I understand.  If you can turn a tablet into a weapon, you can turn a smartphone into a weapon.  My wife has a small tablet and a large smartphone that are not very far apart in size.  So I don't quite get it. 

To RS's point:  The things we didn't have 50 years ago can still be brought on the airplane, in checked baggage, so you can have them before you leave and after you land.  You just can't have access to them during the flight.

There is some concern that a recent aviation accident, or accidents (not in the US) were caused by materials that could be hidden in a lap top size container, or even a coke can. The reason the phone is not part of the concern is because the amount of material required to create enough damage for bringing down a plane wouldn't fit in the phone. I have a feeling we will see a tighter tolerance of other objects, like coke size cans, as well. I believe the change did not originate on the US, but cooperation was requested. That is the simi official explination I heard.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 1

But it's only a few countries that are affected.  One can just drive over the border to another airport and it's all okay.

There may be more logic to the list than first appears.  It is interesting that none of the countries on this list (Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Turkey) are on the "travel ban" list, and vice versa.  I am going to make a wild guess that you can't get a direct commercial flight here from any of the "travel ban" countries anyway.  So if you add all that up, if you're in Egypt (for example), you're surrounded (including over water) by countries that you either (probably) can't fly out of (Libya, Sudan), or are also on the list (Saudi Arabia), plus Israel.  Try just driving over the border from Egypt to Israel and see how that works out.  And even if you did get to an Israeli airport, and tried to get your explosive laptop past Israeli airport security, your day would probably not have a happy ending.

Edited by NJCubScouter

All you need is an accelerant and an ignition source to cause severe damage. Those can come in many sizes or can be made by various objects (think battery and steel wool).

This ban is based on credible evidence of a possible event.

There is some concern that a recent aviation accident, or accidents (not in the US) were caused by materials that could be hidden in a lap top size container, or even a coke can. The reason the phone is not part of the concern is because the amount of material required to create enough damage for bringing down a plane wouldn't fit in the phone. I have a feeling we will see a tighter tolerance of other objects, like coke size cans, as well. I believe the change did not originate on the US, but cooperation was requested. That is the simi official explination I heard.

Barry

I remember a cheap Casio watch was banned a while ago as it could be easily hacked into a time detonator.

A pencil in your pocket can be weaponized, as can a man's belt, and a woman's purse, and ... and ... and ...

But cannot easily blow up a plane. Mrs Turtle, years ago, worked on bomb detection software*...they were worried about laptop batteries almost 20 years ago. 

*Other than marrying me she is a very smart girl.

A 12 oz Coke can could carry .7 lb. of Composition B (roughly twice that of an M67 Hand Grenade) or, even worse, White Phosphorus.  You would not want to be on the plane when that went off.  Especially inside a purse with lots of metal parts.