Canada Girl Guides restricting scout unit travel to USA

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5478 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Another reason I always keep the seat belt fastened. 

:)

In that photo, I just noticed the traffic cone on the other side of the airplane.  It can't be more than a few feet from the plane.  Did they think someone wasn't going to notice the airplane sitting there and needed a traffic cone to warn them?

Speaking of traffic control, I am noticing how far, far away this thread has gotten from its original topic, not that we have an actual rule against that.  It's more of a guideline.  :)

#122 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

Well, then let's keep pushing the boundaries.

The cones are for people in vehicles that can't easily look up. The cone is likely by the wing tip, not the engine.

Please continue with bombing girls scouts, or whatever it was you were talking about before.

#123 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

TTFN

• Moderators
  • 2228 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Since I was OP,  a summary so far.

- international scouting groups may have concerns about entering the US - whether certain members will be denied entrance or treated in a less than friendly manner based on religion or national origin. Should the State Dept respond to these concerns?

- these scouting groups might pass on US trips, including World Jambo 2019.

- traveling with electronics (laptops, lithium-ion batteries, cameras,..) internationally is becoming more problematic. Maybe this is a friendship opportunity for Jambo hosts or US scouts to share smartphones and laptops? 

#124 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

You missed:

- Opportunists looking for a reason to complain about a non-issue because they hate the politics of half of the US.

#125 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6006 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

Well, then let's keep pushing the boundaries. ...

That puts us back on topic :rolleyes: !

#126 Rick_in_CA

Rick_in_CA

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Another Canadian school board cancels future trips to the US.

http://www.thestar.c...rips-to-us.html

Canada’s largest school board will not approve any new student trips to the United States in the wake of controversial travel restrictions proposed by President Donald Trump.

However, 25 trips involving about 900 Toronto District School Board students that are already scheduled for this spring will go ahead as planned unless circumstances change, TDSB education director John Malloy wrote in a letter to principals Thursday.

Given the uncertainty over the proposed travel restrictions, “we strongly believe that our students should not be placed into these situations of potentially being turned away at the border,” Malloy said.

#127 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

We should make sure all visiting Canadians pay a border crossing fee in maple syrup and smoke salmon.

#128 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11368 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

It's nice to know that there are people out there that are more paranoid than us Americans.  The goal of a terrorist is to promote fear and hostility among people.  They are succeeding. 

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#129 Rick_in_CA

Rick_in_CA

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

We should make sure all visiting Canadians pay a border crossing fee in maple syrup and smoke salmon.

Now that is a policy I can get behind! As long as I get my cut as a citizen!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq