• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4CouncilsScouter

4CouncilsScouter

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Fishing for thoughts here:

I am looking over the Venturing Personal Safety Awareness, and a couple things come to mind...

1. The syllabus references "Suicide Prevention" which is not included in the linked video.
  2. Am I the only person that thinks the video is a bit dated and out-of-touch?
  3. Should crew advisors be presenting this? Honestly, these are fairly sensitive topics and probably deserve someone comfortable/knowledgeable/experienced in said topics to facilitate this training.

What are your crew's experiences and thoughts?

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6114 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

In my experience, most teens have already gone over this. That said, most of them haven't really thought through applying the material to their circle of friends.
Out of date? Yes. Out of touch? I think people are continuing to use technology to control other people.

Our little school district had become a suicide cluster. Two fine young men in as many years, lost. There is no option to wait for someone more qualified or "comfortable" to bring up the discussion.

Some of the best discussions I've had are when I opened with "Let me be the first to admit that I'm out of my league ..."

#3 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3922 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

Some years ago, a local Scout (Eagle project)  developed a peer training program to help identify and help friends "at risk".   It was done with the assistance of pro counselors and was a small success.

His project was hooked into some national programs, but I can't remember which ones.   Perhaps this one:  http://www.suicidology.org/ncpys  .

Yes, video  is dated , but hey, use what you can.  Invite the discussion.  Ask a local counselor to help.  Like the Scout says, "be prepared" BEFORE you need the skills and tools. 

#4 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

The videos are dated.  It actually serves to release any tension about the discussions.  We focus the discussion on the Scout Law.  That makes it personal.  What does it mean to be cheerful to someone who going through a rough time?  What does it mean to be friendly to someone who tells you they are contemplating suicide?  What does it mean to be courteous in a relationship?  What does it mean to kind and helpful when you see someone really intoxicated?  What does it mean to be obedient regading underage drinking? What does it mean to be brave when you see someone taking advantage of another person?

Ultimately, the Crew needs to know that they are there for each other and that the adults are there for them NO MATTER WHAT.

Edited by Hedgehog, 18 March 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#5 4CouncilsScouter

4CouncilsScouter

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hedgehog,

That's our crew's thoughts exactly! In the past, we've tried to ask the local high school counselor and/or a law enforcement officer to deliver a comparable training using the syllabus, and we've always gotten positive feedback from this.

Good news though, I've heard through an area Venturing advisor that there's talk at the national level of reworking the training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq