Just Arrived

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pottapaug1938

Pottapaug1938

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

I joined Boy Scouts in November of 1964. As the son of a longtime Boy Scout and Scouter, and grandson of a Scouter, I am surprised that I didn't join Boy Scouts a year earlier when I turned 11; but Dad and Granddad wisely let me come to the BSA on my own rather than pushing me to join. Thanks to a superb troop program and nine weeks (3 summers) at Scout summer camp, I made Eagle in September 1967, and then switched over to Exploring where I remained until aging out. I became a member of the OA's Musketahquid Lodge in June of 1967; and I received the Vigil Honor 3 years later.

College, law school and marriage meant that I started a hiatus from Scouting in the fall of 1977; and I did not come back in until 15 years later when my son became a Tiger Cub (he made it as far as Second Class, in Boy Scouts, before losing interest -- his interests were more like those of my wife than like mine). When my son left, I stayed in; and over the years I have helped over a dozen Eagles leave the nest. I have been a staffer on two Canadian jamborees (and would be staffing two others if circumstances had permitted/will permit. Currently, I am the chief woods tools instructor at the New England Base Camp near Boston; and after I retire from my current troop, next year, the Base Camp will be my main Scouting interest.

#2 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Welcome (back) to camp !   Pull up a stump and pass the chili and chips......   

If you listen to any 10 of us here, you'll soon hear 12 opinions...  

#3 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11729 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Scouting.  SSScout is being modest, 10 scouters is closer to 20 or 30 opinions.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#4 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6204 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

... he made it as far as Second Class, in Boy Scouts, before losing interest -- his interests were more like those of my wife than like mine ...

Welcome! And, as I've said it before, I'll repeat it again: the best scout I ever met advanced as far as 2nd class.

He's the one who invited me to his troop.

If your son ever brings it up, tell him you have a story from some stranger on the internet!

#5 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Howdy , and welcome from Texas!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq