Troop Meeting Place has a.... stocked bar

Both the Pack and Troop share the same CO, a local sportsman club. We have a great relationship with them, they are financially supportive.

The pack meets at church in town. The church hall has a better layout for us as a pack. The troop meets at the club, which has a bar. They meet in the room with the bar, but I do not believe the bar is open at the time of the troop meetings. It is stocked with alcohol in plain view.

Thoughts? It this ok? I feel like its a fine line. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alcohol and tobacco are both legal "drugs".  One can do the 1920's prohibition, but as we all know that didn't go very far.   The first troop I was in was at a conservation club where alcohol was si

Or...we use this as an opportunity to teach the boys about the dangers of alcohol.

It seems booze in bottles is the last thing one needs to be worried about if someone is being "old-fashioned" given all the other changes lately.    If anything it is a chance to have an open conver

Checking into that, but I am leaning toward its not....

If not, then I'd recommend finding another site and explaining the circumstances to the CO ("CO, no offense but....").

As a former bartender, I'd find it interesting and a little surprising if they didn't lock up their alcohol.   Even under lock and key, it tends to walk away.

If not, then I'd recommend finding another site and explaining the circumstances to the CO ("CO, no offense but....").

As a former bartender, I'd find it interesting and a little surprising if they didn't lock up their alcohol.   Even under lock and key, it tends to walk away.

It's a private club. I don't think they would mind if we didn't meet there (the pack does not anyways) but its convincing current leaders they should....

It's a private club. I don't think they would mind if we didn't meet there (the pack does not anyways) but its convincing current leaders they should....

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  It is important to remember that the CO owns the unit.  It's their unit.  They might actually like having their unit meet at their facility.

It would not be at all unusual for a sportsman's club to have youth members of similar age (to their boy scouts). It's even possible that some of the scouts are members of the club.  

For all we know, the boys might like meeting at the club.  It sounds like it might be a pretty cool place to meet. More so than a church basement, I would guess.

I would tread lightly here.  I think a quiet conversation with the COR might let you know if this is something you should pursue, or if you should leave it alone.  Good luck.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1

As a parent, I would be concerned that reasonable precautions have been made to secure the liquor.

Probably, it wouldn't hurt from time to time for the older scouts to hear from one of the bartenders about state regulations and the problems that could arise from a youth "raiding the cupboard."

But, it is healthy for the boys and parents to know who their CO is -- that includes the good, bad, and ugly.

In fact, if the club has a range safety officer who is good with youth, it might not hurt to have a kids' shooting night one night a week. Members would be informed that the bar will be closed that night.

But if stuff isn't going to be kept under lock and key, and a good faith effort is not made to educate the older youth, I wouldn't use the club as a troop meeting place.

The club charters both the pack and the troop. The pack meets at the church, and they are aware. Never said a word.

A few months ago, we helped with a trash pickup. While we were there, lots of club members walking around with open containers, guns waving around, etc..... I was uncomfortable, so were the other leaders that were with. 

We were offered to fundraise during open shoots, but my leadership is concerned about the open containers at these events too.

Uhhhh.....no. I'm far from a teetotaler. My family is far from teetotalers. But there is no way Id have tweens and teens meet somewhere with a possibly unsecured open bar. If the bar is secured, maybe. But, honestly, probably not then either. That's for your protection and the COs. If a boy somehow gets hold of a bottle and harms someone while drinking, I suspect the CO could be held responsible if they hadn't taken reasonable measures to prevent that.

I'd also find the litter pickup a little off. Again, I like to drink. If I'm hiking with my kids or friends, sure, I'm bringing a few beers. But I'm not throwing back drinks on a Scout hike! Nor am I going to drink on a public service project. Just weird.