$350.00

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RivetSmasher

RivetSmasher

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

Since my son is crossing over next week we made a trip to the scout shop today. Walked out with 2 new uniforms and $350 less. Amazing. Fortunately I'm done growing(vertically not laterally) and he has room in his shirt and pants, so this won't happen again for a while.

#2 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

RivetSmasher, I recall you mentioning you son chose a Troop. Are you volunteering in some capacity in said Troop?
Sounds like the two of you will look spectacular in your new uniforms. I bought a pre-sewn patch shirt one time. Self and son have and will do our own sewing from now on. One way to save cheddar. And learn a useful skill. ☺

#3 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6005 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

Brace yourself for a future of fun.

If your son's growth spurt comes on before he wears his shirt out, don't let that uniform sit idle in his closet. Remember that not every family can handle the sticker shock.

#4 RivetSmasher

RivetSmasher

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

RivetSmasher, I recall you mentioning you son chose a Troop. Are you volunteering in some capacity in said Troop?
Sounds like the two of you will look spectacular in your new uniforms. I bought a pre-sewn patch shirt one time. Self and son have and will do our own sewing from now on. One way to save cheddar. And learn a useful skill. ☺

I've been his Den Leader since day one. The plan since he was born has been that we were joining Boy Scouts. We are a Scouting family. My wife already has her shirt, I outgrew mine(laterally).

#5 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

Look for sales on scoutstuff.org. Can usually find pants on sale but you really need to try them on at the store to know their silly sizing.

#6 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Tip on the canvas switch back.  Always wash the legs with this pants so that the fading is constant. 

Also they shrink quiet a bit so when they hem them up hem them inside so you can let them out as he grows

#7 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11368 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Never cut the bottoms off of Scout pants.  Hem them up and be ready to let them down as needed. Resale and usefulness to another scout is appreciated if they have a bit of room to grow as well.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#8 Prepared

Prepared

Adult Scout

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

I do not know the feasibility of this for everyone (based on sizes of units and area), but my son's Troop he just joined held a uniform "swap" day. The older Scouts brought in their smaller uniforms and donated them to be given out. The younger/new Scouts were able to get full uniforms and some extra stuff (like a really nice winter coat). Maybe this is something you could look into. Understand that this was actually someone's WB ticket item and that is why it happened.

#9 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I'm with you.  We just bought three new Venturing uniforms this year (in addition to my son's and my Boy Scout uniforms).  Wear them well.

#10 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

I've been his Den Leader since day one. The plan since he was born has been that we were joining Boy Scouts. We are a Scouting family. My wife already has her shirt, I outgrew mine(laterally).

What a remarkable child he must be to have made up his mind at such a young age.

#11 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2443 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:48 AM

Remember keep your receipts and that BSA has a lifetime guarantee even if a lot of the new stuff isn't gonna last a life time. I am on my 2nd free replacement of my 2010 purchased switchback pants with the amazing un-weaving crotch. Keep an eye out for clearance sales at the scout store, I got some super lightweight switch backs on sale for $10 one year and wear them a lot. The color is a little off but since it is officially issued it is OK.

I have also purchased Olive Drab BDU's for less that have lasted my boys much longer than the BSA issue. You need to check on your Troop policy on that. My older boy kept blowing out the knees and seat and the BDU had those areas reinforced.

My younger boy always checked out the clothes closet we had looking for old outgrown class B shirts, socks, and pants. He has several different scout era outfits now he has pieced together. Ask around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq