Just read an article that BSA paid $18,000.00 to the New Jersey cub scout that was kicked out of the Pack before the Transgender Policy was made official.  They also issued an official apology.

I am done with the BSA

Edited by RememberSchiff
Crude language
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is really the whole bone of contention in a nutshell - the idea that someone who is transgendered really isn't transgendered just because they say they are.  There is a divide between the peo

Sure it does.   If BSA required you to put your gender from your birth certificate on the membership application, and you didn't, you've committed fraud.   It would be the same not checking the bo

When I joined, nobody asked to see my birth certificate, either.  They took my parents word for it too.  The difference is that my parents weren't lying.   This girl's parents should not be afforded

The article says that the local council settled the lawsuit, not BSA.  I think we need to remember that local councils are chartered, not owned, by BSA.

I am generally in agreement that councils should obey the local state laws.  In this particular case, I think the laws of New Jersey are abhorrent.  This is also true of most of the coastal (blue) states.  Yet, the state laws must be obeyed. Fortunately, I can choose to live elsewhere.

Edited by David CO

Qwazse - I was indeed responding to Ranman 328. I would have quoted him but ever since I "upgraded" my Internet Explorer on my home computer, the quote function, the post function (I have to go in to more reply options to post), and the ability to make proper paragraphs has gone poof (when you see posts from me properly formated and quoted, I'm using a different computer.

The article says that the local council settled the lawsuit, not BSA.  I think we need to remember that local councils are chartered, not owned, by BSA.

I am generally in agreement that councils should obey the local state laws.  In this particular case, I think the laws of New Jersey are abhorrent.  This is also true of most of the coastal (blue) states.  Yet, the state laws must be obeyed. Fortunately, I can choose to live elsewhere.

What law of NJ do you think the BSA council in question did not obey? Generally speaking, NJ's anti-discrimination laws deal with public accommodations (which I believe the BSA claims not to be).