BSA Folds Again

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Ranman328

Ranman328

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Just read an article that BSA paid $18,000.00 to the New Jersey cub scout that was kicked out of the Pack before the Transgender Policy was made official.  They also issued an official apology.

I am done with the BSA

Edited by RememberSchiff, 04 March 2017 - 02:12 PM.
Crude language

#2 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Link to article?

#3 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2511 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

http://abcnews.go.co...er-boy-45883121

http://www.northjers...-pack/98665342/

#4 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

I could send about 70 single parent, on food stamps scouts to summer camp for that much 

#5 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11829 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

If they keep doing this they're going to up the ante on their FOS presentations and double down on over priced popcorn just to break even.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#6 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

OK...Bye...Se Ya....So Long...Au Revoir....Bye Bye...Adios

#7 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6306 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

OK...Bye...Se Ya....So Long...Au Revoir....Bye Bye...Adios

Ma' Sallam, CP. Hope to heat from you once the blood stops boiling.

#8 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Qwazse, I think that CP was responding to Ranman328

#9 Pale Horse

Pale Horse

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:26 AM

I am done with the BSA

Can I have your stuff?

#10 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

The article says that the local council settled the lawsuit, not BSA.  I think we need to remember that local councils are chartered, not owned, by BSA.

I am generally in agreement that councils should obey the local state laws.  In this particular case, I think the laws of New Jersey are abhorrent.  This is also true of most of the coastal (blue) states.  Yet, the state laws must be obeyed. Fortunately, I can choose to live elsewhere.

Edited by David CO, 05 March 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#11 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Qwazse - I was indeed responding to Ranman 328. I would have quoted him but ever since I "upgraded" my Internet Explorer on my home computer, the quote function, the post function (I have to go in to more reply options to post), and the ability to make proper paragraphs has gone poof (when you see posts from me properly formated and quoted, I'm using a different computer.

#12 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6306 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

CP, welcome back! Missed you.
@Ranman328, sad 2 c u go. Come back when your dander's down.

#13 Peregrinator

Peregrinator

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

The article says that the local council settled the lawsuit, not BSA.  I think we need to remember that local councils are chartered, not owned, by BSA.

I am generally in agreement that councils should obey the local state laws.  In this particular case, I think the laws of New Jersey are abhorrent.  This is also true of most of the coastal (blue) states.  Yet, the state laws must be obeyed. Fortunately, I can choose to live elsewhere.

What law of NJ do you think the BSA council in question did not obey? Generally speaking, NJ's anti-discrimination laws deal with public accommodations (which I believe the BSA claims not to be).

#14 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

New Jersey's laws against discrimination are abhorent? Care to explain that?

#15 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Can't really explain it without violating the warnings given by this forums moderators.  I'll just let my comments stand as they are.

#16 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

BSA Folds Again

I don't think it's fair to say this is an "again" sort of event when it's directly linked to the same previous issue. It's just the legal/civil part of the process finally playing out. 

#17 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2511 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:58 AM

The law referenced is

The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (N.J.S.A. 10:5-12) (LAD)

http://lis.njleg.sta...2&x=24&y=12&zz=

section f, subsections (1) and (2)

I am not an attorney, but my read, there was a concern a LAD violation occurred because the scout was already a member of a private club (Cub Scout Pack) when denied continued membership because of gender identity.

(2)tab.gifNotwithstanding the definition of "a place of public accommodation" as set forth in subsection l. of section 5 of P.L.1945, c.169 (C.10:5-5), for any owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent, or employee of any private club or association to directly or indirectly refuse, withhold from or deny to any individual who has been accepted as a club member and has contracted for or is otherwise entitled to full club membership any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges thereof, or to discriminate against any member in the furnishing thereof on account of the race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, pregnancy, sex, gender identity, or expression, affectional or sexual orientation, disability or nationality of such person.

The local BSA Council apparently chose not to or could not argue that the initial membership was fraudulent and this law should not apply.

Anyway that is my research and best guess.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 06 March 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#18 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:54 AM

But if your not supposed to be a member of that private club, how can you sue for discrimination when at the time the club's rules disallowed your membership.

#19 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

is the kid still a cub?  If not, it wouldn't surprise me if the parent was just looking to push her agenda and come out with a settlement from the get-go. 

#20 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

is the kid still a cub?  If not, it wouldn't surprise me if the parent was just looking to push her agenda and come out with a settlement from the get-go. 

It wouldn't surprise me, either.  But in this case, it appears that the girl really wants to be a cub scout.

My guess is that the $18,000 covers the parents' legal expenses, and doesn't give the parents a profit.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq