Photo
- - - - -

Wilderness First Aid, How long is the cert good for?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

The Red Cross does not do WFA in our area anymore and is dropping it from their offerings.  BSA and others have been doing it so it's no longer feasible to provide it.  I was hoping to get it for free, being an ARC volunteer.  Nope, nothing in our area is offered.

BSA or 3rd party.  The question is why isn't BSA putting it on for free?  It's their program after all.

BSA does not teach WFA, it never has.  The course curriculum has been adopted by both American Red Cross and ECSI.   We have worked with both to build instructor capacity in local councils.  

ARC info:   http://www.scouting....amredcross.aspx

ECSI Info:  http://www.scouting....ining/ECSI.aspx

To teach the course, one needs to be either an ARC or ECSI instructor.    So, if you are an ARC instructor, add it on.   

And fundimentally, the WFA course helps those running trek and high adventure backcountry camps meet both BSA NCAP and American Camp Association Accreditation standards.    It might be important to the understanding of the concept.   

RichardB

#22 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

BSA does not teach WFA, it never has.  The course curriculum has been adopted by both American Red Cross and ECSI.   We have worked with both to build instructor capacity in local councils.

By "BSA" I mean local units, districts or councils.

#23 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2506 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

In New England, just about each year, WFA courses taught by SOLO instructors are hosted by a Council or unit.  $120-150pp. I have not seen any Red Cross offerings here.

#24 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I mentioned earlier than ours is a red cross course....only say that because the info page has the red cross logo

https://www.nfcscout...erness-firstaid

I had just assumed that it's a course using a red cross curriculum and red cross certified instructor. (probably a volunteer is my guess, speaking to Stosh's point about cost...)

#25 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11809 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

The ARC used to teach the course on behalf of the BSA.  Not offered for many years in our state.  BSA either does it themselves or hires a third party to do it.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#26 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

The ARC used to teach the course on behalf of the BSA.  Not offered for many years in our state.  BSA either does it themselves or hires a third party to do it.

Stosh, respectfully, The ARC has not taught a course on "behalf" of the BSA.   The ARC teaches ARC courses.   The current position of the BSA and its relationship to ARC is listed in the link above, that relationship affords councils, leaders the ability to become ARC instructors and to teach ARC courses at a discount, but following ARC criteria and standards.   The ARC Wilderness and Remote First Aid Course can be offered by an ARC instructor so qualified.    You may wish to contact your council training folks if you want to put together a course in your area, see if there are qualifed instructors available.  

RichardB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq