Photo
- - - - -

Wilderness First Aid, How long is the cert good for?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

The Red Cross does not do WFA in our area anymore and is dropping it from their offerings.  BSA and others have been doing it so it's no longer feasible to provide it.  I was hoping to get it for free, being an ARC volunteer.  Nope, nothing in our area is offered.

BSA or 3rd party.  The question is why isn't BSA putting it on for free?  It's their program after all.

BSA does not teach WFA, it never has.  The course curriculum has been adopted by both American Red Cross and ECSI.   We have worked with both to build instructor capacity in local councils.  

ARC info:   http://www.scouting....amredcross.aspx

ECSI Info:  http://www.scouting....ining/ECSI.aspx

To teach the course, one needs to be either an ARC or ECSI instructor.    So, if you are an ARC instructor, add it on.   

And fundimentally, the WFA course helps those running trek and high adventure backcountry camps meet both BSA NCAP and American Camp Association Accreditation standards.    It might be important to the understanding of the concept.   

RichardB

#22 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

BSA does not teach WFA, it never has.  The course curriculum has been adopted by both American Red Cross and ECSI.   We have worked with both to build instructor capacity in local councils.

By "BSA" I mean local units, districts or councils.

#23 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2822 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

In New England, just about each year, WFA courses taught by SOLO instructors are hosted by a Council or unit.  $120-150pp. I have not seen any Red Cross offerings here.

#24 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1979 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I mentioned earlier than ours is a red cross course....only say that because the info page has the red cross logo

https://www.nfcscout...erness-firstaid

I had just assumed that it's a course using a red cross curriculum and red cross certified instructor. (probably a volunteer is my guess, speaking to Stosh's point about cost...)

#25 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12195 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

The ARC used to teach the course on behalf of the BSA.  Not offered for many years in our state.  BSA either does it themselves or hires a third party to do it.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#26 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

The ARC used to teach the course on behalf of the BSA.  Not offered for many years in our state.  BSA either does it themselves or hires a third party to do it.

Stosh, respectfully, The ARC has not taught a course on "behalf" of the BSA.   The ARC teaches ARC courses.   The current position of the BSA and its relationship to ARC is listed in the link above, that relationship affords councils, leaders the ability to become ARC instructors and to teach ARC courses at a discount, but following ARC criteria and standards.   The ARC Wilderness and Remote First Aid Course can be offered by an ARC instructor so qualified.    You may wish to contact your council training folks if you want to put together a course in your area, see if there are qualifed instructors available.  

RichardB

#27 jrush

jrush

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

The Red Cross does not do WFA in our area anymore and is dropping it from their offerings.  BSA and others have been doing it so it's no longer feasible to provide it.  I was hoping to get it for free, being an ARC volunteer.  Nope, nothing in our area is offered.

BSA or 3rd party.  The question is why isn't BSA putting it on for free?  It's their program after all.

I went through some of this with regard to CPR.

I don't know if it's the only one, but the Red Cross does have a Wilderness and Remote First Aid course, same as they have various First Aid/CPR/AED courses.   You can get certified to be an instructor for the ARC.  The Red Cross will set up a user agreement with your council and the instructor can do the courses for a significant discount.  I can do First Aid/CPR/AED under $10 per card for scouts and scouters.   Anyone can get certified to be an instructor for the Red Cross...not sure why the Red Cross would drop it in a specific area unless they didn't have an instructor on staff in that area anymore.

I would presume the BSA uses the Red Cross version and instructor so they have some legal standing of "this was taught by a qualified instructor" before accepting the liability for high adventure outings which require WFA...no different than requiring some form of certified CPR instruction for BSA lifeguard. 

But, in any event, someone can go to the Red Cross, get certified to teach it, get an agreement with your Council office knocked out, and teach the course as often as needed.

#28 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12195 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

I went through some of this with regard to CPR.

I don't know if it's the only one, but the Red Cross does have a Wilderness and Remote First Aid course, same as they have various First Aid/CPR/AED courses.   You can get certified to be an instructor for the ARC.  The Red Cross will set up a user agreement with your council and the instructor can do the courses for a significant discount.  I can do First Aid/CPR/AED under $10 per card for scouts and scouters.   Anyone can get certified to be an instructor for the Red Cross...not sure why the Red Cross would drop it in a specific area unless they didn't have an instructor on staff in that area anymore.

I would presume the BSA uses the Red Cross version and instructor so they have some legal standing of "this was taught by a qualified instructor" before accepting the liability for high adventure outings which require WFA...no different than requiring some form of certified CPR instruction for BSA lifeguard. 

But, in any event, someone can go to the Red Cross, get certified to teach it, get an agreement with your Council office knocked out, and teach the course as often as needed.

I'm a certified instructor for the Red Cross, but in a different area (Disaster Mass Care).  Unless the Council approves it, I cannot teach it.  Instructors can generally charge whatever they want over cost of materials.  Our council instructors charge $70 per person for the one year certification.  This is why I don't get involved in the process.  Sounds kinda fishy.  I teach Red Cross volunteers in Disaster Mass Care and charge nothing, the training is free.  I'm a volunteer after all.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#29 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

For CPR and basic first aid, I get trained yearly for work for free.  Most companies want so many to be emergency response team members and will get you trained for free.  

That doesn't cover the WFA portion, but it is a start.

#30 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

Here's a great reason why more outdoor enthusiasts need to learn about HAPE and HACE. Needless deaths keep occurring because people want to enjoy the outdoors but are not trained.

20-year-old hiker died of altitude sickness, mom says
http://www.foxnews.c...s-mom-says.html

#31 HelpfulTracks

HelpfulTracks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:28 AM

Our council is a registered ECSI Education Center, and has trained and qualified instructor(s) in council as well.

My son and I took WFA last Spring from the council and cost $35/scout(er), which included WFA and CPR/AED. The cost was basically what the book cost to purchase at full retail (you can find it cheaper), so it was extremely good value. More so when you consider that organizations around us are charging $200 or more.

BSA is requiring WFA certified individuals for high adventure and some back county outings now, so if your troop is participating in those as a troop you will need it.

A unit may also become a certified education center as well, as long as you have volunteers with the proper training and credentials and meet ECSI requirements.

#32 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

We have a local unit which does the training. It's $80 for the weekend. They do scenarios and real hands on work. Best training I've had. The classroom only offerings are okay, but the scenario based offerings are the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq