Ditch the Neckerchief

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2644 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

"Special neckerchiefs, the same size as the official ones, may be authorized by local councils. Such neckerchiefs may include identification of the chartered organization. The standard designed neckerchief may be personalized with troop number, city, and state. By troop approval, an Eagle Scout may wear an Eagle Scout neckerchief."

BSA, Guide to Awards and Insignia, "Special Regulations," "The Neckerchief."

This has been the regulation forever and ignored systematically just as long.  I don;t know of a single unit that got Council OK for a non-official neckerchief (nor does either council where I scout) or bothered about whether their special neckerchiefs were "the same size as the official ones."  I have been in four troops since 1983 and they each had a special neckerchief without council consent that was not the same size as the official ones.  The language should be eliminated.   

#142 numbersnerd

numbersnerd

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

My my, so much touchiness here. Especially from some who get some pushback on their thoughts. And to what end?

This thread typifies what turns so many off from Scouting once exposed to Scouters. To be honest, if I had to listen to some of this in person, my consideration of Scouting for my boys would drop. So I guess I should be thankful it's vented here instead of in a truly public forum.

#143 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6112 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

"Special neckerchiefs, the same size as the official ones, may be authorized by local councils. Such neckerchiefs may include identification of the chartered organization. The standard designed neckerchief may be personalized with troop number, city, and state. By troop approval, an Eagle Scout may wear an Eagle Scout neckerchief."

BSA, Guide to Awards and Insignia, "Special Regulations," "The Neckerchief."

This has been the regulation forever and ignored systematically just as long.  I don;t know of a single unit that got Council OK for a non-official neckerchief (nor does either council where I scout) or bothered about whether their special neckerchiefs were "the same size as the official ones."  I have been in four troops since 1983 and they each had a special neckerchief without council consent that was not the same size as the official ones.  The language should be eliminated.   

I knew about that regulation when I was a scout, and -- although our troop had no interest in anything but one of the standard issues -- always wondered about it. Did council have a record book of custom designs? (I mean, they had a book of Eagle's names, and we could visit and sign it, so it stood to reason ...) Apparently not.

About that other part of the rule. Say you have an Eagle who wants to wear his special neckerchief ... does any troop anywhere have an actual approval process?

#144 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3921 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

"Special Neckerchief"?   Eagle, Woodbadge, souvenir of Jamboree/Philmont/Camp Whosis...

I have a "Smokey Bear" Forestry service  necker in my collection. And an Amangemet Wipet (OA) award necker.  And a Chaplain necker.  And a District Leader Award necker.  

I have never heard anyone complain about any Scout necker as being inappropriate or "not allowed". 

#145 CherokeeScouter

CherokeeScouter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hated them as a kid, don't care for them as an adult. But I'm not Wood Badge either. 

#146 CherokeeScouter

CherokeeScouter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Oh, and I forgot about the knee socks and garters with tassels we had to wear. What on earth was that about? 

#147 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

TTFN

• Moderators
  • 2310 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Oh, and I forgot about the knee socks and garters with tassels we had to wear. What on earth was that about? 

Summer wear, the knee socks offered some protection from walking through the brush (burrs, ticks,...) while wearing shorts. Outdoor activities prior to LNT were often off trail - blaze a new trail, set up a new campsite, STALKING, tracking. Today, off-trail activities are generally limited to orienteering, geocaching,..

Garters held up the socks. Tassels (red) you got me, but think of what National would do today with the colors. Green, Gold, Silver, Blue,...or maybe they have. :eek:

#148 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Hated them as a kid, don't care for them as an adult. But I'm not Wood Badge either. 

Our troop voted to 86 the socks and garters thank the Lord!!! We went with green hiking socks instead. Loved our SM for that. I would have gotten beaten up on my to Scouts every Monday were I forced to wear those.

#149 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11534 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

On the other hand, my boys voted to have neckers and they wear them all the time.  It's good to have the option for each troop/patrol to decide on their own.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq