Ditch the Neckerchief

When scouting goes with a double breasted white uniform shirt, we could have problems.  :)

But the point you guys are making was that the necker was the single greatest identifier of someone being a scout. I just showed that's not the only group of people who wear them.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Necker is the universal symbol of scouting, we should encourage its use and Scouters should wear it whenever they are in uniform

I admit I'm a traditionalist, so I am for the necker. My troop has opted to go the custom route though. We are using olive drab USGI triangle bandages with a custom patch. So they are quite useful.  

Pyramid scheme?  Not really, in a pyramid scheme quite often some of the victims get their money back.     (Added note, I was probably thinking more of a Ponzi scheme than a pyramid scheme, but I t

But the point you guys are making was that the necker was the single greatest identifier of someone being a scout. I just showed that's not the only group of people who wear them.

Well, being courteous and helpful and good at lighting fires seem to be better identifiers. ;)

How many scouts even tie theirs like a chef's cravat? Maybe at the Dutch oven exhibit?

The fact is that there are two diverging trends from the full uni + necker. One is the current tan shirt and pants without the necker, the other is the necker with whatever is practical for the job at hand.

Might want to hold your indignation after reading the Guide to Awards and Insignia, page 12. Emphasis added.

"Boy Scout neckerchiefs are optional. Troops choose their own official neckerchief. All members of a troop wear the same color. The troop decides by vote, and all members abide by the decision. If the neckerchief is not worn, then the shirt is worn with open collar. Boy Scout and Boy Scout leader neckerchiefs may be worn in a variety of plain colors and contrasting borders."

One CAN wear the uniform properly AND still look professional WITHOUT the necker. 

Let's hope everyone wears the uniform properly following all the other standards.

Same page

When engaged in Scouting activities, members may wear the neckerchief with appropriate nonuniform clothing to identify them as Scouts.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/08/21/scout-neckerchiefs-now-approved-wear-nonuniform-clothing/

"One uniform piece unites Scouts in all 223 countries with a Scouting program.

It’s not the button-up uniform shirt. It’s not the purple World Crest.

It’s the Scout neckerchief."

I am sure some will make the argument, that if they are at a Scout activity then they must be scouts so there is no need for a uniform in part or whole to identify them as scouts. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

The uniform is also optional, so in part or whole, it does not make a scout. BTW, the Uniform Method was not a Method until the mid 80's. If your unit wears the uniform, there is a guide to wearing it correctly. Well sort of, when the necker was required some Nationalista's stated the necker is worn under the collar. :eek:

My point is the necker makes one look like a scout and if it is a real necker it has many functional uses.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

So does ANY tshirt or hat with the BSA logo on it.

If you wore just the necker in the US you'd be scoffed at wildly. It's not like people would automatically know you're a scout. But if you were a large First Class tshirt I'd bet they'd know.

Until I saw that picture it never occurred to me that chef's wore neckers.  I would recognize them by their white double breasted coats or a baker with a baker's hat on.

And seriously, what chef in the hot kitchen would want to wear a necker????? sounds kinda like scouters not wearing neckers in the summer because they are too hot??????  what do they know that Scouts don't?  :)

If you wore just the necker in the US you'd be scoffed at wildly. It's not like people would automatically know you're a scout. But if you were a large First Class tshirt I'd bet they'd know.

Used to be a scout didn't wear any First Class emblem/logos until they earned the rank.  The Universal Hat Pin is only the TF emblem and the 1" FC pin is for youth (and historically only youth who had attained the FC Rank.)  But like the uniform of today, no one really cares and they all do what they want anyway.  If one looks closely at the POR patches they all have TF rather than FC emblems on them.

Edited by Stosh

i don't know, there might be some beaches where "just a necker" might get you called out for being overdressed, but society is becoming a little more tolerant of that whole behavior, I'm told.

With regard to wearing a necker, say, over your rain slicker on a crappy fall day with a troop who aren't at all in uniform .... Oh my, all that ridicule ... I should be scarred for life.

Instead I opted to grow a pair. Occupied myself with collecting rainwater off my tarp (the only drink that didn't taste like fracking fluid), shooing adults away from the boy cooking (burning?) grilled cheese sandwiches, and setting up my pizelle iron and cranking out cookies through the evening. The boys in this community are welcome to associate my growing obsession with my necker as some kind of crazy, or they can decide at the end of the day that that stupid piece of cloth -- even when not over epaulets and silver knots -- represents the kind of scout they want to be.

• Upvote 1

It's a piece of optional cloth. It's not a badge of honor or an indicator of excellence. Not more than a WB necker means well trained leader.

The scout's measure is within and his badge are his actions.

Even BSA agrees that the uniform means more than the necker, or they'd have made it mandatory and not optional.

It's a piece of optional cloth. It's not a badge of honor or an indicator of excellence. Not more than a WB necker means well trained leader.

The scout's measure is within and his badge are his actions.

Even BSA agrees that the uniform means more than the necker, or they'd have made it mandatory and not optional.

Not denying that it's optional, just affirming that it's an object of admiration in a myriad of contexts in the U.S.

It's no more an object of ridicule than the "love your Muslim neighbor" t-shirt my friend gave me. Which reminds me, time to go to the coffee shop.

When I was a kid we collected neckers like boys collect patches today.  Had one for the troop and one for just about every activity I was in, camporees, klondikes, summer camps, etc.Maybe I'll have my wife make them into a quilt some day.  The last time there was a specialty necker was Philmont 2000, the time before that was 2 troop trip to BWCA.  Both gave up their troop neckers to wear the expedition one.  The "unitform" for the trip was a baseball cap, t-shirt and necker.  Hat and t-shirt are long gone, the necker is still in the drawer.  When I want to encourage a high adventure trip, I always wear it to the discussion.  If I'm not invited to the discussion, I wear it anyway.  :)

• Upvote 1

Back in the day, I recall scouts who wore BSA official uniform slides, the brass turk knot, were razzed. As a Bear, I made an ambitious first attempt at carving a kit slide - Cochise, which ended poorly. My second attempt was an arrowhead which was somewhat recognizable as such the further back the viewer stepped. :(

vintage-bsa-boy-scout-wood-carving-proje

Lest we forgot that we need a place for our slides here's a nifty piece c/o Bryan On Scouting http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/09/08/neckerchief-slides-whats-go-look/, and a Tuesday Talkback that's accumulated some thoughtful discussion http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/02/03/scout-neckerchiefs-yea-or-nay/, the latest comment (http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/02/03/scout-neckerchiefs-yea-or-nay/#comment-170632) involves how that collection of traded neckers can still infect 21st century boys.