Ditch the Neckerchief

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#221 HelpfulTracks

HelpfulTracks

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

As for being "uncool," modeling behavior works. My son would ditch his uniform top and necker whenever we stopped somewhere on the way home from meeting. He would tell me it was too hot, or uncomfortable or he didn't want to get anything on it. I never objected, but I left mine in tact.

Frequently, people would comment on my uniform or ask questions or tell me their scouting stories. I have had numerous people come up and shake my hand and say thank you, and a few times, when I asked for the check for our meal, I have been told someone had already paid it.

It wasn't long before my son started keeping his uniform on when we stopped. He takes Great pride in representing the Boy Scout's now because he has seen first hand how positively most people react.

#222 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

Maybe your pack leaders should consider wearing the neckers. Leaders have a strong influence on the youth by modeling the behavior that is expected of them.

I agree about the modeling behavior idea. But when my opinion of neckerchiefs isn't exactly favorable towards the wearing of them, I kind of think I'm already modeling the behavior I prefer. 

#223 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6710 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

Thanks all! You reminded that I had misplaced my usual necker, so I dug deep and grabbed one from my old lodge that I'll cinch with a slide from the '81 Jambo. Just in time for the meeting!

Edited by qwazse, 16 October 2017 - 04:51 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq