Eagle BOR and A Non-Rechartered Unit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Curious as to what issues folks have seen occur when a Scout passed his Eagle BOR while the troop's charter lapsed?

Long story short, troop still has not turned in the charter, it was due December 31st, and the Life Scout passed last week. From the district commish, the SM is ignoring phone calls, emails, etc and the COR/CC are basically non existant with the unit, only on paper, so they cannot help.

I'm concerned for this Eagle in particular, but also all of the Scouts in the troop.

If the SM, CC, and COR are all missing in action, it is time to go have a sit down with the IH.

#22 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3902 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Like I said:   Tell the Scout/parents  to call the Council and get  (at least) a local Commissioner on it.  The Scout should deal with Council, who, if they have their job descriptions correct, will either (1) deal with a disputed Eagle application (no Unit) or (2) help him transfer to an active, sympathetic Troop or Crew .....  And in the mean time, the Council will deal with the non-chartered unit by contacting the IH , the COR, and  removing the registration of all the adult leaders and helping those Scouts desirous of continuing in Scouting to find a good unit.  Commissioners?

#23 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1644 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

If the SM, CC, and COR are all missing in action, it is time to go have a sit down with the IH.

Unfortunately the IH is also MIA. Long story short, they view the pack and troop as groups that use their facilities, not as part of their ministry. The IH has kicked out the Scouts from activities, even an Eagle Court of Honor that was scheduled with the church and planned 4 months in advance with a week's notice. And a new building that they promoted in fundraising for it as being for the Scouts has actually been used a handful of times since they completed it 6 years ago. I know the pack has used it 3 times. 

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#24 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

It sounds like this unit is toxic all around. Council will definitely need to be involved, not only to help with the completion of this one scout's Eagle, but also to deal with this mess of a troop in which it seems like none of the adults involved are interested in doing right by the boys. Like SSScout mentioned, Council should help with getting all of the scouts into new units before they all lose interest while the charter and leadership languish. 

#25 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1644 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Good news: charter is turned in. 

Regarding the leadership, I am hoping and praying they get a new SM within the year. SM's son is 17 and Life. There is some speculation that once son gets Eagle, they are gone. The attitude from the son is that he is only in Scouting because dad wants him to get Eagle, otherwise he could care less. The old CM of my pack is now an ASM, so a lot fo fokls hopes he takes over.

#26 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

Good news: charter is turned in. 

Regarding the leadership, I am hoping and praying they get a new SM within the year. SM's son is 17 and Life. There is some speculation that once son gets Eagle, they are gone. The attitude from the son is that he is only in Scouting because dad wants him to get Eagle, otherwise he could care less. The old CM of my pack is now an ASM, so a lot fo fokls hopes he takes over.

I wouldn't "hope", I'd plan. If not on the TC get on the TC and help bring the issue of succession planning to the table. I suspect you are already doing more than just hoping, but a successful transition depends on knowing who is taking over now, not later.

#27 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1644 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

At this time all I can do is hope and get the ASM to complete his training. Heck, if I can get any of the other leaders trained, I'd be happy. But that i has been written on in a different thread

#28 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

At this time all I can do is hope and get the ASM to complete his training. Heck, if I can get any of the other leaders trained, I'd be happy. But that i has been written on in a different thread

Dare I ask, UC anywhere around to help out? To be even more bold, is the DE anywhere to be seen?

#29 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

While I know BSA won't punish the Scout for the adults mistakes, seen that first hand, I wanted to know how it will be handled.

My understanding is that if the charter is turned in by closing time on Tuesday the 28th, it's in the grace period, and everything gets done OK.  If not, it;s lie it is a new unit, and nothing done Since December 31st counts, including the Eagle Board.

Need to get your DC involved and help between Council and Eagle

#30 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1644 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Dare I ask, UC anywhere around to help out? To be even more bold, is the DE anywhere to be seen?

Actually the UCs, and a few other district folks, have either died ( UC originally assigned to them), or have become so frustrated they say the heck with it and ask to work with units that want their help. (3 UCs). Long story short, this is the SM who thinks he know it all and will not take any advice or help form anyone.

As for the DEs, my council is so short staffed, that the DEs working my district have barely kept their heads above water. It sucks not having your own DE.

#31 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Actually the UCs, and a few other district folks, have either died ( UC originally assigned to them), or have become so frustrated they say the heck with it and ask to work with units that want their help. (3 UCs). Long story short, this is the SM who thinks he know it all and will not take any advice or help form anyone.

As for the DEs, my council is so short staffed, that the DEs working my district have barely kept their heads above water. It sucks not having your own DE.

I feel for you. That's a rough situation. There's always council assuming they are in a position to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq