re-joining OA in a new lodge?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RivetSmasher

RivetSmasher

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:55 AM

I was a Brotherhood member of my Lodge while I was in high school, went off to college and life happened. My son is crossing over next week and I intend on following him to his troop as an adult leader. I've been his Den Leader since Tiger. I've been out of the OA for over 20 years. Do I need to be elected in again or can I just join the new Lodge? How does this work?

P.S. I am not in the same Council as I was when I was a scout.

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

@RivetSmasher, welcome to the forums! And, thanks for all of your service to the boys.

So, one of them post-modern nomads, eh? Contact your new council's lodge advisor, I'm sure he'll plug you in.

#3 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

I was a Brotherhood member of my Lodge while I was in high school, went off to college and life happened. My son is crossing over next week and I intend on following him to his troop as an adult leader. I've been his Den Leader since Tiger. I've been out of the OA for over 20 years. Do I need to be elected in again or can I just join the new Lodge? How does this work?

In my Council they will confirm your status and then you pay your dues. Done. You get a Lodge flap.

#4 Chisos

Chisos

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

When I was in your shoes (new Lodge after time away) I just emailed my old council office, and asked for my OA records.  About 30 minutes later they sent me a ScoutNET printout with my ordeal/brotherhood/vigil dates.  Took it to the new council, paid my dues, and that was that.

#5 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

In my Council they will confirm your status and then you pay your dues. Done. You get a Lodge flap.

Same here

#6 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Moved a lot during my military career.    If you have an old dues card around, that's all you need.

#7 JosephMD

JosephMD

Chapter Adviser & Troop Committee

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

That is pretty much how it works, but every lodge will have its own process.  My lodge has a form where you would fill out your information, ordeal date, brotherhood date, etc. & from what lodge.  If you had an OALM ID, you could put that on there.  Some lodges were better at keeping records than others and some these days are more picky than others in their verification.  Some have better online presence than others, some have lodge meetings or if it is broken into chapters, chapter meetings. 

I'm a chapter adviser, I get adults transferring in from lodges long ago every so often, it unusually goes well, even though it is a paper process.

I guess a good question is, why'd you wait?  Just because you have the blue loops doesn't mean you can't pay those dues and wear the lodge flap.  It is rare, but it happens.  My chapter is big on cub scout outreach, having a couple of adults from packs is helpful there.

#8 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1903 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Have some evidence of being a member, and you should be good to go.  I have been in 5 different lodges, and it's never been a problem.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq