Troop role for Eagle Court of Honor after EBOR Disp Circumstances

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6003 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

I'm about to step down and I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to be the new SM's biggest fan. Anyone that comes to me will get "do I look like the SM?" If anyone comes to complain I will tell them in no uncertain terms that they didn't volunteer so they should help out or shut up.

The reason being is that when I started the previous SM did leave and a few people that saw it as a chance to get their way. It became a pain for a year until I finally convinced them that I was, indeed, the SM. I would like to help the new guy so he doesn't have to go through this. If I have to I will be the bad guy so he can get his feet under him, but I don't think it will take much more than pulling some adults aside and talking to them. People still respect me so if I tell them the new guy really knows what he's doing they will help out.

Well, it's good that you are going out on your own timetable and with the respect of your troop.  We have had two major adult leadership changes in the past year, both the result of people being in a position for way too long and being the only one NOT to realize it was time for them to go.  Eventually the changes were made but not until after a good deal of pain and anguish.  Now a new leadership team is picking up the pieces but if the same changes had occurred three or four years earlier (when I wanted them to), there would be fewer pieces to pick up.

Edited by NJCubScouter, 17 May 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#82 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1856 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

David,

While we have our differences of opinion, we both have the best interests of the youth we serve. I'm sad to hear that you are stepping down and away from Scouting. But can understand why you may need to step down.

Just do me a big favor if you don't mind? If one of your Scouts asks you to attend something like a Court of Honor, especially their Eagle COH, please do so.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#83 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

Well, it's good that you are going out on your own timetable and with the respect of your troop.  We have had two major adult leadership changes in the past year, both the result of people being in a position for way too long and being the only one NOT to realize it was time for them to go.  Eventually the changes were made but not until after a good deal of pain and anguish.  Now a new leadership team is picking up the pieces but if the same changes had occurred three or four years earlier (when I wanted them to), there would be fewer pieces to pick up.

I've seen that before. More often I've seen the leader that gets frustrated and bitter and angry. I just knew I had to leave before that started happening. I've had some great experiences and that's what I want to remember. I have a hunch these problems come from different personalities.

I may not be the leader anymore but I'd like to keep helping. I can't do that if I'm angry or burned out.

#84 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12174 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

A good right hand man is better than nothing when it comes to taking on the task of the SM.  I have always taught my APL's that their job is to help the PL be successful.  Those that do produce some excellent PL's for the troop.  A good leader leads from the front seat, a great leader leads from the back seat.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#85 krikkitbot

krikkitbot

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Wow, I am running out of popcorn reading this thread. I may need to break open a bag of marshmallows.

Belladona, congratulations to your son. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq