• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1868 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

Only way I've seen it done really well is a troop that has a big garage with hooks.  When they return from camp, they hang all the tents to dry.  It's a nice way to maintain inventory.  ... I'm jealous.  

I've often thought how great it would be to have a proper scout hut.

and thought if I ever become very very wealthy, maybe I'll make it happen for the troop.  I'll have to add that feature to the design!

#22 ianwilkins

ianwilkins

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:20 AM

Only way I've seen it done really well is a troop that has a big garage with hooks.  When they return from camp, they hang all the tents to dry.  It's a nice way to maintain inventory.  ... I'm jealous.  

Our hut (it's not unusual in the UK for each group to have their own hut, I'd guess probably 75% have their own) has hoops in the walls at about 5ft high, good for stringing rope across an hanging smaller tents from, it also has a decent high ceiling so we can hang bigger tents from ceiling beams. Of course, when the cubs are in the next day at 6pm, it still doesn't give you much time for things to dry.

#23 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 5997 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

Talking of matching tents, we had a stroke of good fortune a couple of years backhe Explorers, as typical teenagers, wanted to put them up randomly, but my tent OCD didn't allow it, and, to be fair, the camping space we had was not the biggest, so they were lined up, not quite as well as the picture, but not bad. Looked great though, and should last us years and years. ...

Your explorers need to cross the pond and camp with us. We randomize tent placement ... postage stamp footprints of crushed grass is poor form for our lot.

#24 ianwilkins

ianwilkins

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

Your explorers need to cross the pond and camp with us. We randomize tent placement ... postage stamp footprints of crushed grass is poor form for our lot.

Next time....there's always a next time isn't there? We'd move the tents halfway through the week. Sadly that camp ground was so small we couldn't. It looked big enough on the recce, but that was before we knew how many were coming. My heart sank when we took down the tents at the end of the week to see a string of yellow rectangles. Ho hum, a month and it would have recovered. Another reason for encouraging hammock camping. We do try and leave no trace, and my litter sweeps are infamous.

#25 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

We use REI two man tents. They are inexpensive and last a long time. Haven't replaced ours in 7 years and they are in great condition.

#26 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2437 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

The Timberines take plenty of abuse but a 4 man tent seems awfully heavy. Do they end up camping near the trailer and vehicles then? We used to have a 2 man limit on tents because 3 or more boys = chaos at night. Older boys could sleep by themselves.

#27 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

If you found the tent was $250 and you were able to get it at $150, I'm betting it was a different tent.

Actually they were the same tent. We just called the sales dept, worked with them on bulk pricing for our troop. They knew we were a non-profit, we bought from them previously and were buying a decent quantity.

#28 Snow Owl

Snow Owl

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I have been a fan of the Eureka timberline for decades and have been using the same one for 20+ years BUT we choose a different tent for the Scouts .  We use the ALPS Meramac 3 for the Scouts - 2 scouts per tent unless we have an odd number then one tent will have 3 scouts.  We use the Meramac 4 for the adults.  The tents are well made, easy to set up and can be purchased at a great discount through hiker direct.  (Meramac 3: $71, Meramac 4: $83)  These are not backpacking tents but are still light enough for even the youngest scout to carry from point to point.  we add an extra ground cloth (thick home depot clear plastic)  under the tent to additionally protect the floor.

#29 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2528 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

"Outfitter" is like "authentic," "genuine," "heavy duty," or "special."  Words that sound good but have  meaningset by regulatorsd or the industry.

1000mm rated coating is the least that passes as "waterproof" by law.  It wears down over time and use so 1000mm is not much.  Look for better.  I just bought a clearance tent with 3500mm coating on the floor and 2500mm on the fly.

A "ground cloth" outside protect from sharp and abrasive objects.  One inside protects the coating from the grit the kids track in. Result = tents last longer.

1.9 oz nylon is about as light as I would buy,

We now check tents before summer camp because  several times boys showed up with $19.99 junk.  No ventilation or waterproofing to speak of.  3/32" fiberglass poles that break when hit by loud sounds.

11 stitches to the inch or better.

Eureka has historically been a good value, but most tents are made in/by CHINA these days, so ???

Polyester is more resistant to solar radiation.  

A cheap blue polyester tarp protects from sun and rain.  Pitched with a gap between it and the fly, it keeps the tents cooler when it's sunny.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq