How to motivate the scouts to fundraise

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

We annually sell mulch for fundraising but this year, only 3 scouts have bothered to sell.  How do you motivate them to try?  

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6499 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

We annually sell mulch for fundraising but this year, only 3 scouts have bothered to sell.  How do you motivate them to try?  

Don't. 

Buy less.

Charge more.

Go over the list of stuff the unit pays for. Ask what should be cut.

If you have a committee member that's skilled in rallying a sales force, suggest the boys ask him/her to coach them. Otherwise: file under "not my problem."

#3 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

ROFL, tell them no money no activities. Done.

#4 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2711 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

Explain the financial goal/need.

Allow scouts and their families flexibility  - scout pays (has jobs), family pays (opt-out), and/or scout participates in troop fundraisers.

Fundraising fatigue is real. Many of our unit parents want one upfront unit fee/year and pay as you go for activities and awards. Can't understand them, our unit has only six different fundraisers a year, oops forgot FOS, seven. :unsure:

#5 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Explain the financial goal/need.

Allow scouts and their families flexibility  - scout pays (has jobs), family pays (opt-out), and/or scout participates in troop fundraisers.

Fundraising fatigue is real. Many of our unit parents want one upfront unit fee/year and pay as you go for activities and awards. Can't understand them, our unit has only six different fundraisers a year, oops forgot FOS, seven. :unsure:

In our unit parents under 40 can't be bothered and just write a check. Parents over 40 force their kid to sell or get a job.

#6 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2711 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

I too prefer scouts get/create a job and pay their expenses. Worked for me, back in the day.

#7 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3996 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

The Scout promises to follow the Scout Law, yes?   Scoutmaster Minute about number  nine... What does that mean?   Is The Bank of Mom And Dad going to be there tomorrow?  How do YOU want to pay for your camp out?  Summer camp?  How important is Scouting to YOU , the Scout?   How do YOU pay for the stuff you like?  Is it really dependent on TBoM&D?  

Back in the day, I agree with the previous poster that , it seems we often got together and raised our money thru part time jobs, car washes, selling donuts, ...

It has been often observed of late that our kids today seem not to have a grasp of how we keep score in this game.  Money is exchanged for time and talent, and then exchanged for "things" we want and need.  Food, shelter, adventure, health, fun, travel, knowledge.   TBoM&D is too often assumed.    Our family early on had the conversation with our kids about this.  Scoutson wanted a model tugboat. Remote control , fun to be had in it's construction and operation.  He collected his birthday and Christmas checks from Gmam and Uncles and worked for a local farmer (he works for him even now!  Made that connection!) took a small loan (he signed the papers to us!) from TBoM&D and bought it himself.   That tug could actually tow our canoe!   Many hours of enjoyment, until it was attacked and nearly sunk by a jealous Canada Goose on the local pond. 

#8 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5986 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Plus the same family is also being asked to sell other stuff to raise money for the PTA (or whatever).

And sports teams.

And other activities.

Multiplied by however-many children you have.  And of course if one or more of those is female, Girl Scout Cookies!

It got to be a little too much for me.

Of course now that my children are adults, nobody is asking me to help sell anything anymore.  It is easier to say no to buying things than selling things... until of course my grandson becomes one of the sellers, then I will have to buy. He is in the 2nd Grade so it can't be too far away.  (He's not in Cub Scouts though.)

#9 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 1220 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

Plus the same family is also being asked to sell other stuff to raise money for the PTA (or whatever).

And sports teams.

And other activities.

Multiplied by however-many children you have.  And of course if one or more of those is female, Girl Scout Cookies!

Of course now that my children are adults, nobody is asking me to help sell anything anymore.  It is easier to say no to buying things than selling things... until of course my grandson becomes one of the sellers, then I will have to buy. He is in the 2nd Grade so it can't be too far away.  (He's not in Cub Scouts though.)

Don't have your kid in everything. Pick 1-2 things and be done with it. 

Maybe those other groups are doing too much. Does the orchestra really need a ski trip. Not your example, I know. This is one that happened locally.

#10 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

And sports teams.

And other activities.

Understood about too many fund raisers, we have 2 popcorn with isn't pushed to hard and mulch.  I sent out a message to the boys reminding them of all the equipment they use and what the troop has to pay for and that we are only 25% of the way there for our budget.    At the next meeting, I will ask them which of the campouts they want to cancel, shooting, climbing, or canoeing or all of them because we can't afford them.

In our area, everyone needs mulch and the price is the same as the store but they get free delivery and can even pay for the boys to spread it.  it is a great deal and I know from my son's experience it takes 1 hour to sell a ton of it.  They just won't get off the coach to walk there street.  :-(

NJCubScouter, your grandson isn't in cub scouts?  you need to have a discussion with his parents about that!

#11 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5986 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

NJCubScouter, your grandson isn't in cub scouts?  you need to have a discussion with his parents about that!

I have tried to get my daughter to put her son in Cub Scouts.  This is when one learns the difference between being a parent and being a grandparent.  If they lived near me I would volunteer to take him to the meetings myself, but they live 3,000 miles away from me.

#12 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

I have tried to get my daughter to put her son in Cub Scouts.  This is when one learns the difference between being a parent and being a grandparent.  If they lived near me I would volunteer to take him to the meetings myself, but they live 3,000 miles away from me.

sorry :-(  That sucks.   We have a granddad that takes his son to scouts and I think it is an awesome bonding time for them.  Give us her contact info and we will all call/email her to do the right thing :-)

#13 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5986 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

Give us her contact info and we will all call/email her to do the right thing :-)

I think that would not have the desired effect.  :)

#14 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12161 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

I tell my parent during orientation of new scouts that finances are the responsibility of the parents.  I can pay my own way and so can your son.  If not he needs to get a job or work as a group/patrol to raise the money from the community, it's up to them.  After that it's not my problem.  What I see happening is the motivation comes from the parents, not the unit and if Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#15 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

@mashmaster We have a camp card show and sell at Bass Pro Shop on President's Day. I'll post again afterwards share some insights and results.

#16 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:15 PM

@mashmaster We have a camp card show and sell at Bass Pro Shop on President's Day. I'll post again afterwards share some insights and results.

Cool!  let me know how it goes.  We did find someone in Bass Pro corporate that gave us a discount Bass Pro equipment.  It wasn't a set percentage but they worked with us.

#17 Eamonn

Eamonn

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7910 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Much as maybe I hate to admit it, I'm a lazy toad!

Many fund raising events depend on the parents carrying the load and doing the bulk of the selling and annoying family and friends.

I hate being the pest, the person who people avoid because they soon learn that any meeting with me will mean that they will leave having departed with them being a little poorer than before..

I don't have the time or the inclination to be bothered with selling stuff, collecting the cash and sometimes feeling that I'm guilty of having ripped them off, selling stuff that is way over priced.

My time is valuable and given the opportunity, I will write the check and pay what is asked.

Back in the day. (Yes it was sometime back!)

The Patrol Leaders Council would meet, as a rule sometime in September or October for a weekend and come up with their Annual Plan.

Themes for each month were laid down, sometimes knowing what events the District had in store.

Dates for what events were put on the calendar.

A budget was made.

This budget covered the easy stuff, things we knew that really didn't change that much from year to year.

Some things were a little harder to estimate, such as transportation.

But, by the end of the weekend we had a fairly good idea of how much it was going to cost each Scout for the year ahead.

This cost became the "Magic Number".

The PLC came up with what fund raising events they wanted to do.

The families were given the Magic Number and the opportunity to just pay the cost, pay part of the cost and participate in the fund raising events or pay the entire cost using the fund raising events.

As SM I didn't care jut as long as the money was in the Scouts Camp Bank Account.

Any monies above the Magic Number were placed in the Scouts account.

There were times when the Committee were a little unhappy with how high the cost was.

But being as everything came from the PLC and going over the plan, as a rule they fell into line.

The Panning wasn't easy, trying to steer the PLC into not going way over the top was sometimes a challenge, not wanting to step on their toes and take away from it being their Troop and them running the show.

I will admit that a lot of the time I was guilty of push them in the direction that had more to do with what I wanted.

However the trick was making them think it was their idea and that it came from them.

I have never been a great lover of the Council Summer Camp, so coming up with an alternative event that they wanted to do was as a rule a wonderful way of saving a lot of money and often helped in buy much needed camping equipment.

Having the PLC say what fund raising events we would do gave them ownership of the events.

So while maybe the Mulch is a good and money making event, that has worked in the past?

If the Scouts feel it is more of the same old same old and feel that it is being forced on them?

They might tend to not be interested in it. (Of course I don't know if that's true or not!!).

Having the Scouts being involved in every step of any fund raiser is very important.

Having them make all the plans, making the flyers, organizing the transportation .

There will be times when this fails and can fail badly.

However at the end of the day, we are in the business of helping young men learn from things that work and do fail, the lessons are important and failure isn't always a bad thing.

Eamonn 

#18 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:18 PM

I appreciate the feedback, I agree with you.  I am hopeful that my message to them about what they will lose out on from their plan by not carrying through will motivate them.  Otherwise, I suppose them losing out on those activities was motivate them for next year.

On a side note: the great thing about the mulch is that we are able to sell it cheaper than home depot with delivery and the boys spread it.  So it doesn't feel like popcorn or other selling that is overpriced.  But none the less, it could be for all the reasons you point out.

#19 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

Our fundraising is adult conceived and adult driven

The only reason we're doing it is "so the boys learn"....but with adults doing 90% of it what are they learning?

Even if it was 100% scouts coming up with the idea and making it happen, I still think it should be secondary at best to scouting.  With such a limited amount of time available in the week, I'd rather scouts spend there time scouting and doing scout stuff rather than learning about finances and the like... they can learn that elsewhere.

I do support the idea of a scout using his own money to pay for things, but that doesn't have to be a troop function all the time...

My family is just wrapping up GS cookie deliveries.  A lot of work for not much benefit.  Put me in the camp of "I'd rather write a check"

#20 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

I don't know, @blw2. I understand the time constraint. I also see a lot of parents pushing their kids to get scholorships of all sorts when learning how to run your own business, even if it's just spreading mulch or raking leaves, can make a bigger dent on college expenses.

I agree it doesn't have to be a troop event and it certainly shouldn't be the parents doing all the work. But something that encourages and teaches the scouts how to make some money would be better than the Personal Management MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq