Push for Coed Scouting

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#261 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2632 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Whatever BP meant by "Peace Scouts," he created a world movement.  Did Scouting "join up" when war came?  Of course - all over the world.  ( I had a relative who joined the friends - a Quaker - who volunteered as a stretcher bearer in WWI.)  That doesn't mean Scouting was designed as a tool to grind out soldiers to control empire as certain revisionist hyperventilation would have it. 

#262 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:31 PM

Really? That is the opposite of what Baden-Powell wanted.

Certainly post First World War it's what he wanted. He seems to have had quite a change of heart after that. But if you look at the material pre First World War the emphasis is still obviously there.

#263 Peregrinator

Peregrinator

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

Certainly post First World War it's what he wanted. He seems to have had quite a change of heart after that. But if you look at the material pre First World War the emphasis is still obviously there.

"I’ve seen enough of war to want to keep away from the military idea. Woodcraft, handicraft, and all those things are invaluable. First aid and all that goes with it is excellent; but the boys should be kept away from the idea that they are being trained so that some day they may fight for their country. It is not war-scouting that is needed now, but peace-scouting. The explorers, the pioneers, the persons who are always on the lookout to do something for the benefit of humanity, are the ones who count, and that should be the motto of every boy scout." (B-P, 1912 Chicago Address)

Link

Edited by Peregrinator, 27 February 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#264 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5589 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

As much as we (collectively) revere B-P as some sort of semi-deity (or at least a prophet) whose words were handed down on stone tablets, the fact is it often seems like for every quote from him, there is an equal but opposite quote on the same subject.  The same is true for George Washington.

#265 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2632 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

And so there is a debate about how to evaluate BP.  This article gives a summary of the waring sides - plus the author's conclusion: https://weberstudies.../14.2Voeltz.htm

You seem to reject Jeal's conclusions that BP fought before the war to keep Scouting demilitarized.

That BP said the "patriotic" things when the war was on seems hardly a surprise.  Who was saying otherwise?  

There is not doubt that he used the term "peace scouts" in Scouting for Boys.  The troop in which I scouted as a boy began as California Peace Scout Troop 43 in 1908.  In the last installment of Scouting for Boys, B-P Said:

"“Two or three prominent authorities have written deprecating my attempt to 'foster among the boys of Britain a bloodthirsty and warlike spirit'. I can only fear that either these gentlemen have not read the handbooks very carefully or that I have expressed myself very badly. The whole intention of the Boy Scouts training is for the peaceful citizenship. Even if I had advocated training the lads in a military way (which I have not done) I am impertinent enough to see no harm in it. I have not noticed that ex-soldiers are more inclined than other people to commit murders; all that I see in them, as a rule, is that they have been taught self-discipline, to sacrifice for themselves, if need be, for others, to obey orders, to be sober, clean, and active to make the best of things as they find them to be loyal to themselves and their officers. All of which appear to me to be valuable assets in character for a citizen, whatever may be his grade or trade.”

#266 Peregrinator

Peregrinator

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

I think it is fair to say that B-P would have expected any able-bodied man to come to the defense of his country. And surely, one of the aims of scouting is to produce able-bodied men! Yet I believe that is as far as the connection goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq