"Conservation related" service hours

The new Life req's require that 3 of the 6 hours are "conservation related."  Obviously stuff like picking up litter, planting trees, etc is ok.  But how much latitude are you SM's out there allowing here (I'm looking for suggestions, not an official rule).  Volunteering at a nature center?  Volunteering at an animal shelter?  A recycling center?  I'm tending to want to cast a broad net here, but not get too far out of line.

Often communities have mandates but no budget for fulfilling them. Some example:

Tagging storm drains with "no dumping" warnings paint/stickers. That I would consider conservation.

Take inventory inventory of every tree on every sidelawn. Also conservation.

Take inventory of all signage in the neighborhood. Not conservation.

How did I know this would happen.

In all seriousness, I find it very odd that BSA did not define conservation hours. While I feel it is obvious there are things that would border on whether they should or should not be considered. A scout asked if taking care of his church was "conservation". I pointed out that was most likely "preservation", whereas (So I thought) "conservation" was directed toward natural resources. He promptly opened up his pocket Merriam-Webster and noted:

Definition of conservation

• 1:  a careful preservation and protection of something; especially :  planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect <water conservation><wildlife conservation>
  • 2:  the preservation of a physical quantity during transformations or reactions
  • So now I am left with anything this as my guide.  :D

I think the kid may be related to you @@Stosh. He was just as stoic when pointing out how wrong I was. You should have seen his smile. :o

Edited by Col. Flagg

I think the kid may be related to you @@Stosh. He was just as stoic when pointing out how wrong I was. You should have seen his smile. :o

Are you insinuating I may have been promiscuous in my earlier years?  I'm offended,  NJCubScouter just warned about such slanderous attacks on one's character.  :)

I love it when kids do this to me, it assures me that my legacy will live on in future generations!  :D

• Upvote 1

Guidelines would be nice, as in "must be environmental related" or something like that.

Yep. Sounds nice. Until some creative scout does something really creative, and a disgruntled committee member spouts off about it not being in the guidelines as if you've just tread on holy writ.

This is a question for patrol leaders to resolve. Period.

Yep. Sounds nice. Until some creative scout does something really creative, and a disgruntled committee member spouts off about it not being in the guidelines as if you've just tread on holy writ.

This is a question for patrol leaders to resolve. Period.

Disagree. Since it's part of advancement it should have guidelines in the GTA.

Good discussion and thanks for the ideas.

In cases where it's not obvious, we decided to have the scout make a reasonable argument as to why it should count.  The service hours are to be "scoutmaster approved" anyway, so that's part of the approval.

In cases where it's not obvious, we decided to have the scout make a reasonable argument as to why it should count.  The service hours are to be "scoutmaster approved" anyway, so that's part of the approval.

This makes sense. Still would like to see if preservation of a building would be considered "conservation".

Not patrol leader approved?  Sounds like BSA isn't following it's boy led principles, or are they just guidelines that can be ignored?