Convincing a Unit?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1357 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

IMHO, the way to make change is to build excitement and build interest.  Perhaps, volunteer to run a 2nd weekend in the summer during a different month.  Then coordinate taking a subset of the boys to the other camp.  See if they become interested.  

For any week long summer camp, an hour or two drive minimum sounds reasonable.  Otherwise, you are just camping at one of the locations you are camping at other months of the year.

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11534 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

We have often been faced with patrols wanting different camps.  We have worked around this by relying on the patrol method.  If the young boys want one camp, the leaders focus on supporting the First Year Camper program and for the older boys, that is off the table and the focus is on what the camp has to offer for off-site high adventure.  The blessing in that is the different skills of the adults come into play, the boys get what they want and the adults don't have to split into tow different directions to try and help out everyone at the same time.

Combined camp needs 4 adults two to stay with the First Year Campers and the other two to go with the HA groups off-site.  With a limited number of available adults this could be a problem.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

Go Provo! PERIOD

VOTE to have the committee replaced

#24 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

Just curious, Jason, does this election of unit committee members take place at the same time as our general election of scout executives, or is during the midterm elections?

Edited by David CO, 20 February 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#25 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1895 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

kind of funny in a way, we have almost the opposite problem.  Troop adults have steered the thinking to the idea that summer camp must be up in the mountains so that it's cooler weather.  My son doesn't want to go because it's not enough fun to justify the long car ride.  he'd rather stay closer.....

and while I agree I'm not jazzed about camping in the heat, I also see that we could go much closer and get into some hills but yet not the mountains.... or beach side someplace...and be a whole lot closer yet still maybe just a bit cooler than our own council....& this would then enable adults to do partial week hand offs and spend less vacation time, etc...

I'm reminded about the other thread about fund raising.... if the argument is that it's about the committee paying for gas.... THIS is where scout lead fundraising makes sense....they find out how much it's going to cost, and they figure out a way to pay for it.... no more argument.

#26 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2643 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

The Scouts could raise "gasoline money."

Camp is for Scouts, not adults.  You only need two.  The others are welcome to stay home during the week.

Did anyone on the Committee take training.  I know it's "only" BSA policy for 87 years that the Committee agreed to follow, but the Committee in deciding whether they can support the program plan that is to be made by the PLC are counseled to remember that Boy Scouting program is to be boy-planned and adult-supported.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq