Boys and Girls (Co-Ed) Cub and Boy Scouts Are Coming

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure why this is such a huge issue, when it seems to work in almost every other country that has a Scouting program. I know that if given the option, my 12 year old daughter would drop GSUSA in a

This is an interesting discussion thread, and one where many commenters have no concept of what Girl Scouting is/does.    I get very tired of the argument that "girls already have Girl Scouts, it's

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I think it would be great if they did go co-ed. Last year then I finally brought scouting back to our community I was in a tough spot trying to serve as many ki

So, still asking, what council and district the "pilot" is in.   Would really like to know.    

Think he means STEM? Isn't that co-ed and a pilot program? That is the only thing I can think of that's pilot and co-ed younger than 14. Or am I off?

Think he means STEM? Isn't that co-ed and a pilot program? That is the only thing I can think of that's pilot and co-ed younger than 14. Or am I off?

He's not talking about STEM.  The original poster was talking about an alleged co-ed Cub Scout pack, announced as a "pilot program" by someone from "district".

(Later edit: In the previous sentence, "announced" should be "allegedly announced". I am not taking anything for granted here.)

Edited by NJCubScouter

Man, what a can of worms this is. On the one hand I'm kind of impressed that some units have gone rogue and allowed girls to participate and actually wear the uniform and seemingly progress in rank. 

On the other hand, my head immediately jumps to, "How are these girls participating fully when they're not registered members?" The liability issues and insurance issues alone give me chills. God forbid one of these girls gets hurt on a trip that they're technically not supposed to be on. 

This probably only works well at the Cub level without support from district. Or with unofficial support. Beyond that, I'd be really surprised to see a girl in a rogue troop start hitting the upper ranks or get through Eagle paperwork. Certainly wouldn't expect to see full sign-off from her district. 

Doesn't mean someone won't try, though. Expect to see the headline soon: "Girl petitions Boy Scouts to become first female Eagle Scout." It'll happen, probably sooner than we expect. 

He's not talking about STEM.  The original poster was talking about an alleged co-ed Cub Scout pack, announced as a "pilot program" by someone from "district".

Wouldn't be the first time someone heard something at a district meeting and got it way wrong. :)

I've heard of her. I was thinking more like a girl that unofficially progresses through all of the ranks and then petitions National to allow her to earn Eagle. Might even be able to force their hand if someone were to do all of the requirements first. At the very least I'm sure the press would love to run with a story about a girl that gets all the way to the paperwork stage of the process and then gets denied by her district or national. Seems like the making for the kind of story that eventually changes policy. 

I've met one unit leader who allows girls to participate in activities with his troop. He was long in the tooth and short on details, but more than willing to brag that his was the first co-Ed troop in council. Seems a far cry from official sanction to me.

I did some research on Scouts-L and found that the unit in question does indeed run a clandestine co-ed program. It works in Cambridge...

More info and an article on the unit can be found at:

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/08/07/girls_not_allowed/

The Pack/Troop/Crew are combined using LFL to add the females.

It's only a matter of time. Money and lawyers will determine the outcome.

And since LFL allows atheists, either atheist boys can join via LFL, or it's lawsuit time again.  And the BSA can't argue that excluding atheists is somehow a vital part of the program since they would already allow atheist girls.

As others have also mentioned STEM scouting, I've seen conflicting statements on whether that uses LFL; here's one that says it does:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/04/15/stem-scouts/

Plus concerning the recent "atheists can be part of a Unitarian-Universalist" troop, maybe adding a "Public Lip Service" merit badge could be added.

• 3 weeks later...

Midwest Scouter, it would be interesting to see some verification of such a surprising claim. Of course, if doing so would disclose more information about your location than you wish to provide, I would understand.

It's just that I wouldn't want to see the forum go into a state of mass hysteria (not that THAT could ever happen) over something that might turn out to be a misinterpretation of something someone said. (Not that THAT could ever happen.)

Being that I'm extremely active in scouting and also active at the district level, I'd rather not give an exact location or district.  I'll leave it at Midwest so I don't suffer repercussions...  For those that don't want to believe what I shared to the forum, that's YOUR Choice.  Just remember what I wrote when it starts happening in YOUR Area. A Scout is Trustworthy...

Edited by Midwest Scouter

And since LFL allows atheists, either atheist boys can join via LFL, or it's lawsuit time again. .... 

'bout time someone started to heard these renegades back into the loving arms of their exclusive progenitors. :p

I will never get why these people can't just find other organizations to join instead of insisting on tearing down the foundations of organizations like the BOY Scouts of America. But, whatever. At least I know that my chartered organization is extremely firm on this issue, so I don't have to worry about girls trying to get into my pack any time soon. Yeesh.

• Upvote 2

What people don't realize that if girls change, then everything the Boy Scouts ever stood for is gone and the new organization will be different.  It may be the same name, same awards, but the program will never be the same again. The first time a girl "get's her Eagle", she won't be getting the Boy Scout Eagle, she'll be getting the Boy-Girl Scout Eagle.  Not the same thing.

• Upvote 1

I will never get why these people can't just find other organizations to join instead of insisting on tearing down the foundations of organizations like the BOY Scouts of America. But, whatever. At least I know that my chartered organization is extremely firm on this issue, so I don't have to worry about girls trying to get into my pack any time soon. Yeesh.

Hate. It's simple. They want to tear down those establishments they see as entitled.

• Upvote 1