Boys and Girls (Co-Ed) Cub and Boy Scouts Are Coming

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#21 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

Doesn't mean someone won't try, though. Expect to see the headline soon: "Girl petitions Boy Scouts to become first female Eagle Scout." It'll happen, probably sooner than we expect. 

Boy that didn't take long....

https://www.aol.com/...scout/21485308/

#22 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Boy that didn't take long....

https://www.aol.com/...scout/21485308/

I've heard of her. I was thinking more like a girl that unofficially progresses through all of the ranks and then petitions National to allow her to earn Eagle. Might even be able to force their hand if someone were to do all of the requirements first. At the very least I'm sure the press would love to run with a story about a girl that gets all the way to the paperwork stage of the process and then gets denied by her district or national. Seems like the making for the kind of story that eventually changes policy. 

#23 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6209 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

I've met one unit leader who allows girls to participate in activities with his troop. He was long in the tooth and short on details, but more than willing to brag that his was the first co-Ed troop in council. Seems a far cry from official sanction to me.

#24 Merlyn_LeRoy

Merlyn_LeRoy

• Members
  • 4280 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

I did some research on Scouts-L and found that the unit in question does indeed run a clandestine co-ed program. It works in Cambridge...

More info and an article on the unit can be found at:

http://archive.bosto...ls_not_allowed/

The Pack/Troop/Crew are combined using LFL to add the females.

It's only a matter of time. Money and lawyers will determine the outcome.

And since LFL allows atheists, either atheist boys can join via LFL, or it's lawsuit time again.  And the BSA can't argue that excluding atheists is somehow a vital part of the program since they would already allow atheist girls.

As others have also mentioned STEM scouting, I've seen conflicting statements on whether that uses LFL; here's one that says it does:

http://blog.scouting...15/stem-scouts/

Plus concerning the recent "atheists can be part of a Unitarian-Universalist" troop, maybe adding a "Public Lip Service" merit badge could be added.

#25 Midwest Scouter

Midwest Scouter

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

Midwest Scouter, it would be interesting to see some verification of such a surprising claim. Of course, if doing so would disclose more information about your location than you wish to provide, I would understand.

It's just that I wouldn't want to see the forum go into a state of mass hysteria (not that THAT could ever happen) over something that might turn out to be a misinterpretation of something someone said. (Not that THAT could ever happen.)

Being that I'm extremely active in scouting and also active at the district level, I'd rather not give an exact location or district.  I'll leave it at Midwest so I don't suffer repercussions...  For those that don't want to believe what I shared to the forum, that's YOUR Choice.  Just remember what I wrote when it starts happening in YOUR Area. A Scout is Trustworthy...

Edited by Midwest Scouter, 24 February 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#26 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 5766 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

It was just a matter of time...

Based on what, politics, theory, personal desire? What?

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

#27 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6209 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

And since LFL allows atheists, either atheist boys can join via LFL, or it's lawsuit time again. .... 

'bout time someone started to heard these renegades back into the loving arms of their exclusive progenitors. :p

#28 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

I will never get why these people can't just find other organizations to join instead of insisting on tearing down the foundations of organizations like the BOY Scouts of America. But, whatever. At least I know that my chartered organization is extremely firm on this issue, so I don't have to worry about girls trying to get into my pack any time soon. Yeesh.

#29 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11739 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

What people don't realize that if girls change, then everything the Boy Scouts ever stood for is gone and the new organization will be different.  It may be the same name, same awards, but the program will never be the same again. The first time a girl "get's her Eagle", she won't be getting the Boy Scout Eagle, she'll be getting the Boy-Girl Scout Eagle.  Not the same thing.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#30 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

I will never get why these people can't just find other organizations to join instead of insisting on tearing down the foundations of organizations like the BOY Scouts of America. But, whatever. At least I know that my chartered organization is extremely firm on this issue, so I don't have to worry about girls trying to get into my pack any time soon. Yeesh.

Hate. It's simple. They want to tear down those establishments they see as entitled.

#31 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:32 AM

Being that I'm extremely active in scouting and also active at the district level, I'd rather not give an exact location or district.  I'll leave it at Midwest so I don't suffer repercussions...  For those that don't want to believe what I shared to the forum, that's YOUR Choice.  Just remember what I wrote when it starts happening in YOUR Area. A Scout is Trustworthy...

So, just so you know, there is no pilot for this   It's something someone made up and called scouting.  Trustworthy, not so much.  Putting yourself, your district, your CO at risk.   That's the reprocussions.   Calling something scouting that isn't does a disservice to those running the program.    Good luck with whatever that is being "run".  

#32 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

And since LFL allows atheists, either atheist boys can join via LFL, or it's lawsuit time again. 

I'd feel sorry for that scout and his family as their lawsuit wouldn't have a prayer.

#33 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5753 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

I'd feel sorry for that scout and his family as their lawsuit wouldn't have a prayer.

Prayer, I get it.

But seriously, I think it would depend on what the CO is.

#34 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

Prayer, I get it.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  I'll be back again later this afternoon to do my next set.  Until then, thank you and remember to pay your waitress.

#35 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

What people don't realize that if girls change, then everything the Boy Scouts ever stood for is gone and the new organization will be different.  It may be the same name, same awards, but the program will never be the same again. The first time a girl "get's her Eagle", she won't be getting the Boy Scout Eagle, she'll be getting the Boy-Girl Scout Eagle.  Not the same thing.

Why wouldn't it be the same if the requirements are the same? The name doesn't have to change, either. It's still "Eagle Scout". 

#36 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hate. It's simple. They want to tear down those establishments they see as entitled.

They want to tear down something that they want to join? I don't think that's their motivation.

#37 Fehler

Fehler

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

One waterfountain works just as well as the other one.

#38 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 5766 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

One waterfountain works just as well as the other one.

Is that a racist comment?

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

#39 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

They want to tear down something that they want to join? I don't think that's their motivation.

That's the point. They CAN'T join it because it's not for them. They don't want to join the group that IS for them, so they want to force open a place they're not wanted to make a point.

If simply attaining the highest rank in their gender's scouting movement was their motivation, they would go for it. But that's not their motivation. It's to tear down what they can't have. Make no mistake, forcing open an all boy organization -- when there's a perfectly goo all girl option AND perfectly goo coed option -- is tearing down Boy Scouts.

#40 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11739 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

Why wouldn't it be the same if the requirements are the same? The name doesn't have to change, either. It's still "Eagle Scout". 

One can put an exact reproduction of Abraham Lincoln in the wax museum, looks like Lincoln, push the button, talks and says the same thing Lincoln says, but it ain't Lincoln.

Sorry, Co-Ed Boy Scouting is not Boy Scouting no matter how many comparisons one wishes to point out. 

I find it strange that pure gasoline is sold at the same pump as high octane gasoline and ethanol next to that.  They are all the same, right?

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq