Transgender policy change

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#1 vumbi

vumbi

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

Just saw the news that BSA is now accepting members based on the gender they claim on their application. Interesting. Transgender is 'in'.

https://www.nytimes....39&ref=headline

Edited by vumbi, 30 January 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#2 NealOnWheels

NealOnWheels

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Boy Scouts of America to begin accepting transgender boys

http://www.reuters.c...s-idUSKBN15F022

Edited by NealOnWheels, 30 January 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#3 NealOnWheels

NealOnWheels

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

BSA Announcement from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh

#4 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:26 PM

He said it beautifully and logically.  It is hard to argue with the logic but I know many will.

#5 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Does this set the record for the fastest wimp-out yet?    

It has been what ?  a month?  

#6 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12161 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

So what's the YPT protocol for "co-ed" units with male SM/ASM's? 

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#7 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5986 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

For anyone who is wondering, I reorganized the threads on this subject, moving one from Open Discussion and putting all the posts on the new policy into this thread. I was going to lock the older thread but instead edited the title to direct posts on the policy change into this thread.

Here is a written statement from the BSA web site, http://scoutingnewsr...ender-identity/. This statement is a shorter version of the CSE's spoken statement in the video above.

BSA Addresses Gender Identity
January 30, 2017

As one of America’s largest youth-serving organizations, the Boy Scouts of America continues to work to bring the benefits of our programs to as many children, families and communities as possible.

While we offer a number of programs that serve all youth, Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting are specifically designed to meet the needs of boys. For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual’s birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs. However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state.

Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application. Our organization’s local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child.

The Boy Scouts of America is committed to identifying program options that will help us truly serve the whole family, and this is an area that we will continue to thoughtfully evaluate to bring the benefits of Scouting to the greatest number of youth possible – all while remaining true to our core values, outlined in the Scout Oath and Law.

Edited by NJCubScouter, 30 January 2017 - 10:56 PM.

#8 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5986 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:59 PM

So what's the YPT protocol for "co-ed" units with male SM/ASM's?

There are no "coed" Boy Scout troops, at least not officially. This policy change does not alter that.

Or, to put it another way, Stosh, the BSA has changed its definition of "boy". Their definition now agrees with yours "only" about 99.97% of the time, not 100%.

Edited by NJCubScouter, 30 January 2017 - 11:01 PM.

#9 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5986 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

He said it beautifully and logically.  It is hard to argue with the logic but I know many will.

I agree.

I think the BSA has learned its lesson that letting these kinds of issues drag out for 15-20 years does not do the organization much good. I'd say that's progress.

Edited by NJCubScouter, 30 January 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#10 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

The YPT question is this.  If a girl registers as a boy (for whatever reason), must the scout unit have a female scout leader at the activities?  

My guess is the answer is yes.  BSA will see this as a potential liability.  A female scout leader will be required.

Since BSA will have no way of knowing if any registered scout is actually a boy or a girl, they will have to require that all Boy Scout activities have a female unit leader.

Edited by David CO, 31 January 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#11 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:57 AM

POPULAR

There are no "coed" Boy Scout troops, at least not officially. This policy change does not alter that.

Or, to put it another way, Stosh, the BSA has changed its definition of "boy". Their definition now agrees with yours "only" about 99.97% of the time, not 100%.

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only policy.  

There will be coed units.

I can't accurately predict how many girls will join, but I'm certain it will be more than 0.03%.  I think it is going to be a problem.

Edited by David CO, 31 January 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#12 dedkad

dedkad

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:02 AM

I'd hate to be on the campout when that boy has his first period.

#13 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

I'd hate to be on the campout when that boy has his first period.

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to deal with it.  It happens at school, too.  

#14 WAKWIB

WAKWIB

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

Was there really any direct input at all from charter organizations leading up to this?  I'm pretty sure there was little. Sure, this had to be confronted sooner or later. However this seems like a decision made solely at the professional level, with not even a pretense of building a consensus.

#15 WAKWIB

WAKWIB

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:35 AM

I guess part of this was a rapid-response to a lawsuit recently filed. Maybe it will be easier to do damage control with charter relationships than deal with the hot mess of publicity the suit would cause. 

http://www.nbcphilad...-412068393.html

#16 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2711 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:40 AM

Allow me to argue.

This is a reactive and likely interim decision. The BSA should have allowed local units the "option" to remove gender identity from membership requirements. In a week, there will be another lawsuit arguing that if a transgender (biological) girl can join then a biological girl should as well.

David CO makes a good point about requiring female leaders in units.

One person tents next.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 31 January 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#17 hendrickms24

hendrickms24

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

BSA just needs to go coed.   Their is no reason not to do it. Heck the first thing my son said was they just need to let girls in.

#18 krypton_son

krypton_son

All Around Troublemaker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

Wow.  Hate me all you want, but I'm not ok with this.  If I had to guess the "Scouts" of America will be co-ed by the end of the decade.

#19 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

In regards to YPT and co-ed leaders:  I think the message we are being sent from Irving is, "if the parents say she is a boy, then she's a boy.  Period."  No need to change the way you operate your unit.  Operate your unit under the premise that you still have a troop of "all boys".  Yes, this will be a mess.  Waiting for the response from the major religious supporters such as LDS.

http://www.foxnews.c...boy-scouts.html

#20 cyclops

cyclops

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

BSA Announcement from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh

He did indeed say it well and I agree. I called our COR to let him know about this and his response was a sigh of relief that "BSA did the right thing." And I agree with that too. The families should be 'in charge' of personal matters regarding their children. Plus, for this unit, it completely removes this issue as a future potential conflict with BSA...win, win.

Edited by cyclops, 31 January 2017 - 07:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq