Scout cooking - or what do my scouts actually think of the USA?

I concur, apple pie and vanilla ice cream, peach cobbler, even ice cream cones - those sound quintessentially American, while the dessert your Scout created ... well, let's just say my paternal line has been here since the Mayflower and yet I have never heard of anything like it. But it sure sounds ... sweet! Haha, kudos to him for being imaginative though.  :cool:

I concur, apple pie and vanilla ice cream, peach cobbler, even ice cream cones - those sound quintessentially American, while the dessert your Scout created ... well, let's just say my paternal line has been here since the Mayflower and yet I have never heard of anything like it. But it sure sounds ... sweet! Haha, kudos to him for being imaginative though.  :cool:

Yes, they can certainly get imaginative when let loose. It's one reason why on camp the leaders like to rotate round the patrols for eating, you're always guaranteed to get a wide variety of food!

In some ways it helps that as a troop we are very multinational. At the moment we have kids where they or their parents were born in UK (obviously!) France, Egypt, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Estonia, China, Australia, Canada, Hungary. Poland, Columbia, New Zealand, India and Indonesia. In the recent past we've had Italy, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Pakistan, Finland, Argentina. Iran and Chile. Makes for quite a mix!

Of course, if CambridgeSkip's scouts used normal proper correct chocolate, it would be a world away from any so called "chocolate" they have in the USA.

[ducks and covers]

I'm joking about my denigration of US chocolate of course, but they nub of truth remains, the UK chocolate and US chocolate I believe are somewhat different beasts. Sometimes people bring back Hershey's kisses or Reeses cups from their holidays and bring them into work, and they are pretty unpalatable to me. And I know at least one expat in the US who pines for Cadburys.

Of course, if CambridgeSkip's scouts used normal proper correct chocolate, it would be a world away from any so called "chocolate" they have in the USA.

[ducks and covers]

I'm joking about my denigration of US chocolate of course, but they nub of truth remains, the UK chocolate and US chocolate I believe are somewhat different beasts. Sometimes people bring back Hershey's kisses or Reeses cups from their holidays and bring them into work, and they are pretty unpalatable to me. And I know at least one expat in the US who pines for Cadburys.

@@ianwilkins, for reasons that I don't quite understand, there is a distinction between the chocolate that we'd get in brand name candies, and the recipes we cook at home. I remember having a friend send me a bag of Kisses® so I could share with all of my Perugian friends who were justifiably proud of their Bacci®. While they were trying to avoid making sour faces and being as polite as possible, I had to concoct some story that Hershey represented the rough, pioneering spirit of the Americas.

But, Cadbury's brands are available alongside US brands in most pharmacies and grocery stores around here. I always count on a creme egg or two in the Easter basket. (Bonus: pulling out the winter jacket in November or December, waiting at a bus stop that first frigid morning of the year, and finding an egg still secreted away in one of the pockets. :wub: )

• Upvote 1

I

;'ve never heard of it, or anything like it.  A traditional American dessert would be apple pie, or for scouts, a dutch oven cobbler.

Apple Pie is number 6 on the list of favorite deserts, though it is number 1 on the list of favorite pies.  It may not be our favorite desert, but it beats out Jello (though just barely - Jello is number 8 on the list).